Condensing vs non-condensing combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In a small property like mine (2 bed flat), what kind of differences in running costs would you see between a condensing and non-condensing combi boiler? Whilst I know condensing boilers are more efficient, is the extra expense worth it (does the extra efficiency worthwhile in a small property)?

PS. I am aware of the legalities (or non-legalities!) of installing non-condensing boilers, but I have a GSR friend who is happy to install a non-condensing combi if I so desire.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Pointless question, no decent RGI will say its a good idea to install a non steamer, unless you can do it legally via the points system

Look at the efficiency of both, then work out price difference and life span of both, then are your rads bigger (which cost more to buy then produce production emissions) to keep condenser condensing, extra for drain pipe or maybe a condesate pump and running of pump disposal of broken pump, then work out particulates of aluminium giving us all Alzheimers and cost to NHS taxpayer, then do the maths, it's all bolllokks to brainwash us and nobody gives a shiitt, but well done for asking.

Buy a good quality condensing combi with weather compensation. The only wiring is the mains to the boiler and a low voltage pair to the outside temperature sensor. Any non-condensing boiler installation will be illegal - and you may have legal and warranty issues on an imported boiler.

Sponsored Links
Buy a good quality condensing combi with weather compensation. The only wiring is the mains to the boiler and a low voltage pair to the outside temperature sensor. Any non-condensing boiler installation will be illegal - and you may have legal and warranty issues on an imported boiler.
It's like reading an advert from a condensing boiler manufacturer :eek: Or a weather compensation one ;)

There are domestic situations where it is legal to fit a non-condensing boiler, but not many. There is an assessment procedure that takes account of the potential difficulties fitting a condensing boiler. Not many people qualify!

Expect a condensing boiler to give you 10-15% better fuel efficiency on your central heating, perhaps not so great on hot water. The efficiency of a condensing boiler varies quite a bit depending on how it is used and you could even do better than this (or a little worse). A non-condensing boiler (assuming a new one) is pretty much stuck at just under 80% efficiency (band D). You can check the rated efficiencies of boilers on the SEDBUK database to get an idea.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back