Sourcing a new non-condensing (standard efficiency) boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My Worcester 350 is needing replaced. (O ring on the heating pump has perished and I can't get the pump off as the U clip has rusted and I can't release it - tips?).

The boiler is in the far end of a 2nd floor flat and no where near drainage.
There is an overflow pipe that lets water pour out onto the garden below.

It's going to be a real mess to run a pipe to the bathroom for the fitting of a new condensing boiler.

One gas engineer who has been to quote said that standard efficiency gas combi boilers can still be sourced.
He told me that Combi's release acidic waste water and that some countries had started banning them due to the damage they can cause to sewage pipes.

Sounds perfect, I was happy enough with my current boiler efficiency and I don't trust the reliability of these new boilers (been burned by a new boiler in my last property).

I got a written quote today from the company and it lists "One SEDBUK 'A' Rated Worcester Bosch Greenstar 30CDi Standard Efficiency Gas Central Heating Boiler", which sounds like just a standard condensing boiler to me that needs a waste outlet.

So my question is can a non-condensing boiler be sourced in the UK?

Please don't reply telling me to fit a condensing. I only want to hear alternatives (eg a non-condensing) to what I already know and have been told.

Thanks!
George

Sponsored Links
Clearly George you are one of those odd people who dont want to move into the 21st century!

Did this engineer discuss condensate pumps with you? They can be used to pump condensate up and over and even in thinner tube?

A 22 mm condensate drain could be taken vertically down into the garden!

I have never seen a location that cannot be used to dispose of condensate!

You have just decided to ignore current legislation, the planet and even your bank balance in running old inefficient designs.

The dinosaurs died out!

I'm not a luddite, I'm an out of work IT consultant.
There's a recession on just now and I can well do without this extra expense.

As I said please spare me the lectures about condensates - yes I know about condensate pumps - yes I'm ignoring the current legislation, a building warrant isn't required.

If possible I want a straight replacement and no extra piping.
Or better still a suggestion on how to remove the rusted U clip on the pump.

Clearly George you are one of those odd people who dont want to move into the 21st century!

Did this engineer discuss condensate pumps with you? They can be used to pump condensate up and over and even in thinner tube?

I have never seen a location that cannot be used to dispose of condensate!

You have just decided to ignore current legislation, the planet and even your bank balance in running old inefficient designs.

The dinosaurs died out!

Sponsored Links
A building warrant is required. Gas boiler installs are reportable both for gas work notification (GWN) and building control. By what you suggest you will be in contravention of both unless your property qualifies as a proven exemption. However nothing stops you finding a SE boiler and having it installed, unless you're found out.

yes I'm ignoring the current legislation, a building warrant isn't required
In that case why don't you get a HE boiler and just have the condensate discharge onto your driveway? It all ends up in the sea eventually...

The textbook answer is that SE boilers are meant to be available for shared flue applications in high rise flats. Don't know how true that is - never worked in a high rise. If you can find a SE it will probably be more expensive than the corresponding HE though due to economies of scale.

TIP: I am surprised you can't get your existing boiler repaired given the symptoms you describe.

Speechless.
whatever.gif

well seeing as you state reliability as a factor i reckon a new vokera is the way to go :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back