conduit for consumer unit tails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
These are the tails from the meter to my consumer unit

They don't look very pretty - whats the best way of covering them ?

36000_35218_13773_39839637_thumb.jpg

Sponsored Links
Because they almost certainly aren't RCD protected you can't plaster over them unfortunately.

Best bet is probablly to use plastic trunking making sure the trunking has enough depth that you can neatly plaster up to the sides of it and yet still get the lid on.

I am having a similar problem. The tails are in trunking but 1) it is ugly and 2) the electrician didn't bother to make the trunking vertical, you can see with naked eye that it is lopsided. My CU is near to a corner. There is another trunking there for a radiator pipe, so I am going to box the whole corner before the plasterer come to skim the hall.

Can't you straighten the trunking?

And beware of enclosing cables in the same construct as CH pipes - they might get too hot.

Finally, a generic useful tip for people retro-fitting trunking to cables (don't know how much use it would be to either of you, given plastering requirements):

If you are struggling to get the trunking under cables already installed, slide the lid under instead, and part the cables in a few places to screw it to the wall, then clip the body onto it. With larger trunking it's also a good way to quickly box in pipes.

Sponsored Links
Finally, a generic useful tip for people retro-fitting trunking to cables
If you are struggling to get the trunking under cables already installed, slide the lid under instead, and part the cables in a few places to screw it to the wall, then clip the body onto it. With larger trunking it's also a good way to quickly box in pipes.

Its a useful tip, I have often done this and is surprises people, can look neater too

Its a useful tip, I have often done this and is surprises people, can look neater too

Ah haa! Exactly what I need to do above my CU! Had you not have posted it, I wonder if this forehead-slappingly obvious solution would have actually occured to me before hacking off the sides of the trunking and trying to re-attach them later, or trying to make them hingeable with gaffer tape or something, or... hmmm... :)

Ah haa! Exactly what I need to do above my CU! Had you not have posted it, I wonder if this forehead-slappingly obvious solution would have actually occured to me before hacking off the sides of the trunking and trying to re-attach them later, or trying to make them hingeable with gaffer tape or something, or... hmmm... :)

Glad you like it. as BAS says it works really well with pipes which dont move much

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back