Conf. Block inner leaf repoint - is mesh necessary.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had to chase out the mortar course and repoint because the mortar had cracked.

The blocks themselves weren't cracked so I don't think I need to mesh before render & skim?

Does this sound right?

Sponsored Links
You repointed your inner leaf?
Mesh is not needed

Yes, cracked mostly along the top of the mortar course but sometimes along the btm. I got the old mortar course out\repointed in sections, rather than get it all out in one and leave the leaf hanging there.
14945038531011747810231.jpg

Sponsored Links
Just a quick question.
Why have you done this?
Is the render on the wall or plaster?

The wall is sand/cement rendered plus skim.

It's always had a horiz crack, I took off some render hoping that the crack was just skin deep - it wasn't.

You probably shouldn't have pointed separately before rendering, better to do it in one, then you don't get a joint. You're supposed to rake out the joints before the base coat.

The original render wasn't very thick, probably one coat & skim.

I could rake out the mortar courses a little before continuing, they're still a little green. To what depth?

The wall is going to get some Bluegrit and a reskim so I'll be bringing the new render out flush with the paint, in one coat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back