Confused About Binding Carpet Edge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought some remnant carpet and I need to cut it.
After cutting it, I know the edges will fray.
So I need to bind the edges to stop it from fraying.

But looking at the options online, I see:
Glue guns, carpet tapes, material strips, ironing, PVA, latex, and more.

All I want is a simple and cheap method (hassle free) of binding the edges easily without too much trouble.

So I'm not sure what product I should be buying.
Can I simply buy a carpet tape and stick it around the edge and call it a day? If so, what type of tape? This seems like the easiest option.

Appreciate the help,

JH

Sponsored Links
I never forund an easy option to do this when when I wanted to make a carpet into a rug.

There is this, but you need a very good (industrial) sewing machine or fingers of steel:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/181816448909?chn=ps

You can also serg the edge of a carpet and I found one company to do this, but was not cheap.
https://www.thespruce.com/carpet-finishing-options-2908736

And I used this search to find binding companies:
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-ab&q=carpet+binding+service

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
If there are any carpet shops local to you, ask them if they offer a service. I bought a long off-cut to use as a stair runner and had the edges whipped as we call it and it was charged at 40p a linear foot. They made a very good job of it.

Sponsored Links
If there are any carpet shops local to you, ask them if they offer a service. I bought a long off-cut to use as a stair runner and had the edges whipped as we call it and it was charged at 40p a linear foot. They made a very good job of it.

I had a 5m x 4m roll of carpet delivered yesterday. Cant really take it anywhere. That's why I need to do it at home.

I had a 5m x 4m roll of carpet delivered yesterday. Cant really take it anywhere. That's why I need to do it at home.

No but I'd hope the carpet shop has a van and if they really are local, they could collect and drop off. Only an idea (y)

I'm not really familiar with the different types.

But I bought this one:
HEAVY DUTY 7mm Thick Black - Grey Berber Loop Pile Carpet Remnant/Roll End

You can try PVA'ing the exposed edge, best option would be to have the carpet collected and bound with overwhipping, only other option would be carpet tape the edge but this doesn't usually last too well and does'nt look great.

only other option would be carpet tape the edge but this doesn't usually last too well and does'nt look great.

This sounds like the option for me.

Any idea what type of tape i should buy?
One with glue or without?

Requires ironing or not?

JH

This sounds like the option for me.

Any idea what type of tape i should buy?
One with glue or without?

Requires ironing or not?

JH

Strong Cotton Taping with decent adhesive like Gorilla Glue or a hot melt gun, just take your time and be careful not to get the glue everywhere.

Strong Cotton Taping with decent adhesive like Gorilla Glue or a hot melt gun, just take your time and be careful not to get the glue everywhere.

So just spread a thin line of glue on each side and fold it over, and that's it?

JH

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back