Confused about paint.

W

wkdhd

All I want to do is to paint upstairs in a 3 bed terrace, matt walls and matching satinwood woodwork. Whatever brand I google is apparently rubbish. I popped into B&Q today and found they sell Valspar and not Dulux. Googled that and apparently it is rubbish that doesn't cover and doesn't dry. I know that mostly people only review if they have had a bad experience but even so.
I used dulux satinwood years ago and it was lovely, but apparently isn't now.
All I want is colour mixed emulsion and satinwood that covers, dries, and dries flat. Is that too much?

Sponsored Links
Valspar is B&Q's own make and they're pushing it hard. B&Q have never really made excellent paint so wise probably to keep away. Dulux has also changed, it's lost some quality and dulux also put their prices up. I have found their fashion paints good quality recently, but expensive.

You could try crown paints? I use them because much easier to get hold of on the high street and they do cover very well.

And Dulux satinwood. What you used years ago would've probably been oil based. Things have changed a lot with the reduction of VOC's so satinwoods and glosses etc being made water based. Now I have a problem with these paints with the finish and the longevity. I am not alone on this thought but a lot of folk here seem to get on ok with them. I recently used Little Greene oil satinwood and I rather liked it. It reminded me of paint of years back, great cover, rich colour but with a tendency to drip! More expensive, but I loathe water based paints for wood etc, so it was worth every penny.

Valspar is B&Q's own make and they're pushing it hard. B&Q have never really made excellent paint so wise probably to keep away.

Not sure where you get that info from. Valspar is one of America's biggest paint manufacturers and one of the top 10 worldwide. That said, having used the US version, it is far superior to what B&Q are selling (I'm talking about the emulsion) but is still pretty acceptable to use. I have done a few rooms with it and it has covered perfectly well with two coats, even changing colours completely. I used microfibre roller sleeves with it and the finish was even.

As for the satinwood, it seems you take your pick from the new versions and hope for the best. I did use some Crown Solo satin a few weeks back and it wasn't bad to use but it was a cream colour. If you are using white then you may encounter the dreaded yellowing. :(

Beg your pardon! I'd read reviews and everyone say's 'B&Q's Valspar' rather than Valspar that is sold at B&Q. I just put two and two together and got.. well, five as it seems! My local B&Q rolled it out at the same time they got rid of their own line of paint too.

Sponsored Links
Beg your pardon! I'd read reviews and everyone say's 'B&Q's Valspar' rather than Valspar that is sold at B&Q. I just put two and two together and got.. well, five as it seems! My local B&Q rolled it out at the same time they got rid of their own line of paint too.

I wasn't having a pop at you, just wondering where you got the info from. Our local B&Q still stock their own brand paint so if they stopped stocking it in yours then I can understand your assumption - you must be too young to remember Valspar being a popular brand in this country a number of years back. ;)

Too young.. That would be nice. I spent my childhood abroad due to dad's job so missed out in a lot of stuff here that folk talk about... Magic Roundabout, Cresta and now valspar so it seems?!

Sorry for taking this thread off topic, best of luck with your job upstairs.

it seems you take your pick from the new versions and hope for the best
I was rather hoping to avoid that. I'll go to Brewers in Chichester, paint merchants, and see what they come up with.

You could try johnstones oil based satinwood if not keen on trying out the water based. I forgot to mention it yesterday. I used it 3 weeks ago on new skirting, seems ok so far and cheaper than a lot of paints too.

All I want is colour mixed emulsion and satinwood that covers, dries, and dries flat. Is that too much?

After reading about every paint being awful, we went with crown matt emulsion on the walls, and crown water-based satin for the trim. We picked up a couple of the massive crown matt while emulsions at B&Q for about 13 each, too - I always put a couple of white coats onto a wall, especially after any major touch-ups.

No complaints, went on well, looks nice - I'm an amateur.

I called into Brewers. They do their own range which I assume is ok. They have a plentiful range of colours too.
I read it was made by Crown so hopefully just fine
Just need to consult with my interior design consultant / daughter to tell me what colour I like.
I think I should stop reading reviews on the Internet, everything is awful. Bit like googling a list of medical innocuous symptoms, bound to match to some horrific disease

Albany satinwood / eggshell is fine. Two coats and my pine doors are a nice even colour.
The emulsion on the other hand is awful. The coverage is dreadful.
I now have two bedrooms with patchy coverage. One is dark blue/grey, has had three coats and is still patchy. My room is worse, I painted off white on a pale yellow wall and is very poor with three coats. It's odd paint seems sort of sticky, smelly too. It matted my roller into a solid tube which won't help the coverage. I seemed to be washing a vast amount of paint out of the roller when I finished.
The bathroom was ok, pale blue on a mist coat on new plaster. Two coats and it is fine. The plaster certainly isn't even, I did it.
As a test I have just painted the kitchen with B&Q cream. The room was terracotta and is covered almost fine in two coats, one more will do it. It didn't clog up the roller at all really so cleaning up was much easier

After reading about every paint being awful, we went with crown matt emulsion on the walls, and crown water-based satin for the trim. We picked up a couple of the massive crown matt while emulsions at B&Q for about 13 each, too - I always put a couple of white coats onto a wall, especially after any major touch-ups.

No complaints, went on well, looks nice - I'm an amateur.

I'm the same and tend to get obsessed by reviews so I've stuck mostly to crown products and had no issues with it.

I've just ordered 2 2.5l tubs of crown emulsion from B&Q. £18 + £5 delivery.
It's £16 for one tubs and £18 for two. Remarkable. It's called Crown Promotion on the website.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back