Confused about roofers and trade associations

So it would be abnormal to hold back retention money then? Nobody does that and it would be rude to suggest it?

Sponsored Links
Retention is something you agree too in the contract, normally 5% for up to 90 days.

You mean I'd pay everything straight away except 5%? Doesn't seem much point holding back a measily 5%. Not much money ain't that.

But on the plus side you have managed to post reply without including a load of unnecessary smileys. I feel progress is being made here.

Sponsored Links
You mean I'd pay everything straight away except 5%? Doesn't seem much point holding back a measily 5%. Not much money ain't that.

Think you could get out of Tescos without paying :LOL:

Check the work over and make a snagging list if necessary, pay up when happy. simple

But remember the roofer has laid out for materials and quite within his rights to ask for the cash for them when they are on site.

If I was asked for money half way through re-roofing I'd refuse. Would the roofer just lump it and carry on? People aren't usually asked for money mid-way through are they?
hmn.gif

If I was asked for money half way through re-roofing I'd refuse. Would the roofer just lump it and carry on? People aren't usually asked for money mid-way through are they?
hmn.gif

Yes it is quite normal to have stage payments.

Much depends on the size and duration of the job, as well as whats in the contract.

Retainers are usually for commercial ventures whereby delays in completion leads to the client losing money as a result of the building not being able to earn him money.

Attempting to use them in a simple domestic job is unrealistic. Also being excessively bossy and demanding can have a negative effect.

As said, agree to pay the final instalment once the snagging is complete.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back