Roofer Call Out Charge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for a bit of advice.

I have an issue discussed elsehwere on this forum which requires a roofer to figure out the problem and repair it.

My normal roofer for some reason isn't interested in going up and taking a proper look. The other roofer I've used sent out a quote but now won't phone back when I phone to say I want to accept the quote, so I've been forced to find someone new.

I went onto the NFRC roofers association website and found a local company, Sherlock Roofing at www.sherlockroofing.com

I have called them and they have stated that they charge £55 + VAT for the callout. If they can fix the issue in the first hour, then the fix is included in that price. However if the fix will take longer they will discuss and quote.

Never having had used a roofer who has a callout charge, I just wanted to check to see if that was an acceptable practice these days.

I suppose at the end of the day I'm happy to pay for someone to go up and take a proper look, instead of standing on the ground and guessing.

Is the certification/membership that these guys have a good sign, does it provide any protection for me or is it just a tickbox?

Thanks[/u]

Sponsored Links
The more I think about this, the more I think the callout is reasonable.

Maybe it's also why I haven't had a particularly good service from the other roofer....

Guaranteed they will not fix it in the 1st hour.

Surely there must be other roofing contractors in Stirlingshire who offer no fee quotations.

I'm not sure i agree with with call out charges...you will feel obligated to give them the work rather than waste the call out fee...well thats my take on things anyway.

Well that was kind of my take as well. However I suppose it's only fair to pay someone for going onto a roof, spending time finding out what the problem is, even if they don't fix it.

Normally all I need is slate replaced, so you know they can fix it when they go up, but this is a stubborn problem that cannot be diagnosed from the ground, which is what everyone else wants to do. I would imagine for the £55 they will at least go up and take a look.

I was just surprised when I was told and a wee voice in the back of my head was shouting that that was unusual.

Sponsored Links
I suppose it's only fair to pay someone for going onto a roof, spending time finding out what the problem is, even if they don't fix it.

The only time we ever get paid for going on a roof and not actually doing any work is for survey reports, this can take some time and requires a detailed report in writing.

I know of no roofing or construction companies who charge for estimates..or diagnosis.

What Al said, shouldn't be charged for a quotation, and NFRC is aload of tosh, there are some companies in my area registered that have terrible reputations amongst other roofing companies.

reccommendation is always the best route.

I suppose it's only fair to pay someone for going onto a roof, spending time finding out what the problem is, even if they don't fix it.
Why? As a technician doing Planning & Building Regs Apps If I charged for an initial consultation I'd never be asked to do any ......... ever! What's the difference?

Funny this one. After originally posting I looked about elsewhere on this forum and there was a big argument where a guy posted to say a boiler engineer came out, diagnosed a problem, gave a quote for the repair, left and then the poster was annoyed because he was sent a bill for the callout and diagnosis.

The poster was shot down as being a cowboy customer.

So why is a roofer any different? If anything getting ladders out, going up a roof etc to diagnose is more time consuming and dangerous than looking at a boiler, in my opinion.

However in saying that, my gut reaction was that there shouldn't be a callout fee.

Shortly after posting my original roofer who wasn't responding came back to me, so I've cancelled the call out people.

My consultations take anything from around 1.5 - 3 hours including travelling. If it needs a quote that's anything from 1 - 3 hours on top sometimes a lot more. So a roofer gets his ladder off the roof big deal! Roofers don't spend anything like that long doing a quote and but in anycase its just a running cost to be built into their hourly rate. Realistically I can't build an additional 6 hours into every fee but that's not really an issue for me as fortunately this isn't my full time job. Roofers should consider themselves lucky!

That's all fine - wasn't looking to start an argument :)

I just find it interesting that different trades feel it appropriate or not to charge call out fees, whether or not they are actually factored into the "free" quotation.

Hi

Sherlock are proposing to come to site and carry out some investigatory works and if possible carry out the necessary repairs while they are at your home, and for this level of service £55 + vat is very reasonable.

Whether or not they can fix your problem in the first hour is an unknown quantity, but having carried out a detailed survey they will be able to advise you of the cause and the cost for rectifying the fault/s then it will be for you to decide on whether or not to accept their cost or endeavour to get competitive costs as before!

Personally, I would anticipate that any repair would cost a minimum of £250 + vat, the £55 is an inducement to you to use them and given the fact that no-one is bothering to call you back it may be a wise move to accept their initial offer.

Regards

Hi

Sherlock are proposing to come to site and carry out some investigatory works and if possible carry out the necessary repairs while they are at your home, and for this level of service £55 + vat is very reasonabl
Regards

There are plenty of firms who will quote for free!!!! i do not agree with this practice.

Ive just read through this thread and can honestly say I'm flabbergasted at the general response...

Ive been roofing since I was 16, I'm know 43 running my own company which was handed down to me when my father retired...

We have been members of the NFRC for over 12years and have always offered free quotations, that is how the industry generally operates...

Of course we should charge for investigative work and problem diagnosis... all companies have running costs and overheads... you are paying for their professional opinion.

if i sent one of my employees to investigate a roof problem and to find out exactly what the problem was I would still have to pay him for his time...
why should it be me and not the person who called our company out who has to bear the cost of diesel and wages??

£55 is more than fair, and if it is a small fault that previous roofers have missed and it does get repaired then what a bonus....!!!!

quote by SASroofer...

'What Al said, shouldn't be charged for a quotation, and NFRC is aload of tosh, there are some companies in my area registered that have terrible reputations amongst other roofing companies.

reccommendation is always the best route.'

I take it you are not NFRC registered then?
If you was you'd know of the very strict vetting procedure that takes place to gain membership....the 3year audits that are carried out on members.... the annual request to show proof of public and employers liabilty insurance and last but not least, spot checks of jobs through the building control register..

you shouldnt tar all companies with the same brush, yes there probably are a couple of companies that slip through the net but they wont last and will be booted out at the first chance...

I agree with you though, quotes should be free........ but only when the customer knows exactly what they want quoting for....

Ive lost track of the amount of times ive been called out to quote for work...had to climb onto roof to find out what the problem is....informed the customer of costs and explained whats caused problem and what is needed to rectify....to then be told thank you i'll let you know when the other quotes come in..........never to hear anything again!!!

I'm sorry but costs need to be covered.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back