Where to find reliable roofer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently I appear to be having issue after issue with my house :( Now its the roof.

It was changed 5 years ago, the neighbour was having theirs done and the roofer was prepared to offer a competitive quote if both houses were done at the same time. Unfortunately he's since shut his company and not likely to come back.

Anyway, i'm having an issue where water is coming in under the location of the Valley. A roofer recommended by a friend has come out and taken a look. He said the original roofer should have left the valley exposed, instead he's cut the tiles to meet. This has resulted in debris build up, which is likely resulting in water overflowing the valley during heavy rainfall.

I have noticed the pointing/flashing around one of the chimneys (water from there would fall down roof towards internal leak point) doesn't look great. And putting my ear to the chimney during rainfall I can hear water drops. Potentially this could also be an issue if its getting under the roofing layers then travelling down the roof board. Or perhaps its just the sound of rain hitting the top of the chimney echoing down.

Unfortunately the whilst the roofer came and took a look (didnt charge for this). He hasn't come back with a price and date to do the job. I've called a few times and he's promised next week. But given this is a job I can't verify myself easily (not keen on climbing up the roof), I'm a little concerned about proceeding with someone that keeps delaying and doesnt return calls when the moneys still in my hands.

So where would people advise finding a good roofer? One of the review sites? (I'm in West London).

Sponsored Links
One of the review sites?

No no no :eek:

Visit a local roofing supplier and ask for a name or 2

keep an eye out for a big extension or similar building work being done near your house -ask the guy running the job if he can give you a name of a roofer (although that could be somebody not interested in a small repair job -he might just do roofing for builders).

Ask on here -there maybe somebody local

sorry to hear about your problems with the roof.
stay away from the review sites - they are confidence tricks to fool you an take money from the "trader".
theres a famous description of these sites "A guy in his mum's backbedroom with a computor an ttwo phones".

some roofers an some builders nowadays supply customers with before an after pics or vids of the job - see if you can get that helpful service.

ther's no way that i know of for finding good skilled people.

my firm is always trying out, an finding out, deadbeats an chancers who often come with all sorts of certificates an big stories. one "roofer" couldn't lift a ladder.

if you can get pics post them on here an you will be helped a bit to understand whats happening an what you need doin.

Sponsored Links
A guy called me a couple of days ago and asked me how much to do some work on his? property, I said I will need
to take a look first so I asked him for the address and he said it was Beech close and a bit later on he told me it was
Beech meadow!!! Wa nk er They think we were born yesterday.

where west london? we are in fulham and golders green early next week so north and south

A guy called me a couple of days ago and asked me how much to do some work on his? property, I said I will need
to take a look first so I asked him for the address and he said it was Beech close and a bit later on he told me it was
Beech meadow!!! Wa nk er They think we were born yesterday.

? Thats gone way over my head

The guy was trying to get a costing of the work with no intention of giving Catlad the job.

The guy was trying to get a costing of the work with no intention of giving Catlad the job.

Ahh. What would be the point of that from the customers perspective. I understand getting more then one quote if its a big job, but why not just be open about that.

Anyway I have the opposite issue. The roofer recommended by a friend came to my house, got up a ladder and took a proper look. I appreciate he may be busy, but why not give me a price and realistic lead time. Only reason I've chased him for weeks is I feel he's spent some of his time investigating so deserves a chance to get the work. But I'm at a loss how doing the free bit and not the bit that will get you the job makes business sense :/

No What I mean't was that he wasn't the customer! he was
after skimming sat in an office/bedroom somewhere.
Back to the op. I sometimes go to jobs that have been recommended when I am already busy hoping its something
you can fit in, but sometimes its not a simple solution and
you can't find time to fit it in, so in effect you have just wasted your time unless the customer is prepared
to wait!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back