Roof valley repair/replacement cost

Would you expect the roofer to risk his life to fix your roof in order to save you a few quid?

Absolutely not! I think this post has become all about scaffolding. I 100% want the person doing the job to be safe. I appreciate all the help and advice, but I'd like to get back to the main topic.

Let's take the 2 quotes where the roofer has indicated they will use scaffolding. There's 1 at £1550 for 1 valley. There's 1 at £1400 for both valleys. Both valleys will require separate scaffolding.

However, the cheaper one who indicates scaffolding, I am now beginning to doubt if they mean scaffolding or a tower. The final roofer I had round yesterday quoted £440 for 1 valley. Cheapest of the bunch. He talked about a tower and not scaffolding.

So now I am back to thinking the £1550 is the one to go for, since they're the only one saying definitely will use proper scaffolding. I just can't help thinking the price is steep. And I wish we'd done this when the scaffolding was up for the solar panels! But we didn't know about the problem then, so irrelevant.

Can I have some advice around the £1550 price please? Am I being ripped off? I don't *think* I am, but I wanted to check, especially given the price of these other quotes. Take the £440. That means scaffolding is £1110. Or the more expensive one is charging more for his time. I don't mind paying for someone good to do the work, but similarly I don't want to be ripped off. We'll be in this house for 30 years so if I average it out over that time it's nothing. But I want a fair price. Is that a fair price?

Sponsored Links
All things being equal then number two is the one to go for they are going to provide scaffolding and do both valleys for less money.
There is nothing wrong with doing that work off of a decent tower.
The only way to tell which is the correct price is to get quotes for like for like work.
If you stick around here for any time you will see how threads can drift from the original post.
For what it's worth I would say about £500 per valley and £500 for scaffolding would be about right obviously that's just ballpark without seeing the job in detail.

Last edited:
You haven't posted a photo that shows what type of scaffold will be needed. I suspect I could use one of my easi-dec systems to do that safely while complying with H&S.

From your photo it's looks likely that a couple of the panels will need to be removed. Will your roofer know how to do that? I wonder if it will affect your warranty on your pv system.

From your photo it's looks likely that a couple of the panels will need to be removed. Will your roofer know how to do that? I wonder if it will affect your warranty on your pv system.

The photo is a little mis-leading on that front. I believe it'll be OK. Nobody has indicated they'd be a problem. But the fact they're there makes me want to ensure I get someone who will put the extra effort in to ensure they're working safely. I'm leaning towards the expensive person now. They're the only one who has truly made me feel confident they will do a good job. It's just a *lot* more. But I don't think out of the price range as far as people here are indicating.

Sponsored Links
What I meant was that we don't know if it needs an defendant scaffold or tower/easi-dec.

Where in the country is the property.

Edit: we really need a photo that shows that elevation from ground up.

What I meant was that we don't know if it needs an defendant scaffold or tower/easi-dec.

Where in the country is the property.

Edit: we really need a photo that shows that elevation from ground up.

It's in Hertfordshire.

Attached a photo showing the scaffold the solar guys used. And on the right is a tower used to remove our chimney. Does that help? Thanks for the help!!

Attachments

• IMG_0617.jpg
    IMG_0617.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 279
Thanks.
Scaffold on that in and around Cambridge £4-500. I have had scaffold erected as far down as St Albans for similar money. Your roof could be done quite safely with an easi-dec roofline system.

I you asked about the warranty on your panels?

I you asked about the warranty on your panels?

As in, if they need moving, will they still be under warranty?

Thanks for the advice on the scaffold cost. Nobody has mentioned that other system you mention. It's either been "tower" or "I'll just nip up a ladder". Or the expensive guy who wants scaffolding.

A lost of companies will wriggle out of the panel warranty if anyone other than them disconnects/removes the panels.

The easi-dec is often referred to as a tower scaffold. The system is much more than that. A lot of roofers are now using them for repairs so their costs will be lower than someone that uses an independent scaffold.

You don't need any more than a tower to do that work and
I would charge about £500 to do that valley.

A lost of companies will wriggle out of the panel warranty if anyone other than them disconnects/removes the panels.

The easi-dec is often referred to as a tower scaffold. The system is much more than that. A lot of roofers are now using them for repairs so their costs will be lower than someone that uses an independent scaffold.

Interesting about the tower. I wonder if that's what some of the folks are mentioning then. Oh I'm so confused now! I had settled on the expensive guy, because I felt he was going to do the job properly, and safely. But maybe the others would actually be ok?!

As for the panels - I'm pretty sure none will need to be moved. Nobody mentioned they'd need to. They said it might be tight, but weren't concerned about moving them. Worth being cautious though. I'll read my panel warranty docs.

Well, I think catlad is nearer the mark than not. I wouldn't post that on the internet though.

Well, I think catlad is nearer the mark than not. I wouldn't post that on the internet though.

The final quote I had was £440 for fibreglass and £490 for lead. He's the one that mentioned a tower.

However, I still have this thing in the back of my mind that the expensive guy is the *only* one who has actually been up there to look at it. And he mentions re-felting (it's worn away for sure). But then again, it was after him that I began to know we needed the valley replacing for sure. But still, should I expect someone to go up and really see what they're dealing with?

I am up north and prices are cheaper obviously
Do you need to go up the ladder to price for that work No not if
you have got the experience and you have already told them
that you want a price for a new valley, I can see its 10 coarse of
tiles long so 3 metres.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back