roof Valley problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi folks i have a problem with our valleys on the house it a appears that the fibreglass valleys put in the 60/70 have split

i have had a couple of roofers round who have said they can replace them with new fibreglass ones

however i just what appears to be a roofer with lots of experience round (friend of a friend) who has said they valleys should never have been done in fibreglass due to the roof pitches

The roof pitches are 45 degrees and 30 degrees thus a 15 degree difference.

he has said they should be done in lead as manipulating the fibreglass ones this much they will crack and split. or a dry valley system may work but he would have to check out the pitch options for it

is this right and would i need it in fibreglass, lead or a dry valley system

cheers

jon

Sponsored Links
Manipulating the fibreglass ???? I'm no expert but don't they form the fibreglass in place, so it fibre and liquid until it sets so no problem with manipulating it anyway.

Personally I would be tempted to just put lead over the existing valleys (after removing any cement and replacing once the lead is in place)

right done some more research and got prices

i appears that the good roofer was right. fibreglass valleys can only be used on a 5 degree variance in pitch.

yes it could be done in lead and this would work out to be about the same price however this would mean on going maintenance on the mortar over years to come.

the dry valley system is designed for this type of roof and will cost about the same a lead as part of the roof needs to be relaid.

i have been quoted £1000.00 to replace 2 x 5 meter valleys and dropping a 8 brick high chimney below the roof line and re instate the roof.

he has also said when he opens up the roof he will look to see if the dry valley system is fully suitable and if there is any doubt he will do it in lead.

cheers jon

Sponsored Links
Peter1919";p="2530334 said:
Manipulating the fibreglass ???? I'm no expert but don't they form the fibreglass in place, so it fibre and liquid until it sets so no problem with manipulating it anyway.quote]

Not so in this case.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back