Fibreglass Valleys

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a new pitched roof installed and my builder is proposing to use fibreglass valleys instead of lead.

He admits this is to save money - Anyone know of any problems with Fibreglass valleys ? Should it be just as good (or better) than lead if installed properly ? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Lead will last at least 50 years. I'd insist on it if it were me.

Thanks for the advice. I must admit it was my inclination to insist on lead as well - even if only for appearance reasons.

Sponsored Links
Lead only lasts a long time if correctly installed.. often it is not.
GRP is pretty trouble free, the finsihed product does not look bad.

Lead is better but more expensive, GRP is actually good and fast.

I could install a lead valley @ my house . But I`d use fibreglass. I`m not going to be here in 50 years, and the buggers would have the rolls away off the scaffold round here. Pay the extra ,it`s your roof ;)

Thanks for all the advice - My builder now tells me that the Fibreglass would be cheaper, last as long and look almost the same from the ground - apparently it comes in grey. He tells me that lead is 80 quid a roll and I'd need three rolls plus the longer installation time....

Luckily I'm in a relatively low crime area - but I take your point about lead and thievin' b*****ds ! . :LOL:

I could install a lead valley @ my house . But I`d use fibreglass. I`m not going to be here in 50 years, and the b*****r would have the rolls away off the scaffold round here. Pay the extra ,it`s your roof ;)

I`m the same, even with leads advantages, if i was doing my own roof i`d install fibreglass every time.

a very high percentage of new build roofs all use fibre glass valleys.
Also, like nige says, thieving ****** won`t climb your roof for a bit of grp

Grp valleys are surprisingly robust and last a very long time.

I have installed lead valleys, that have since shown noticeable signs of degrading/thinning. Grp may be poor man's lead but it may have the edge.

There is little or no financial sense in using a lead valley over grp in most domestic situations.

Must be the urine from those racing pigeons you have oop thur, Noseall ;)

IMO, the dry valley fibreglass troughs with the centre upstand, looks a lot better than some monster wavy valleys with horrible massive mortar pointing.

Quicker too ;)

Lead has proven track record of reliability, GRP is a type of plastic and most plastics become brittle after a number of years

I replaced a lead valley a few years ago, it had split in 4 places along its 6 metre length because it had been laid in one complete section, it should have been laid in shorter overlapping sections.

WE SUPPLY A FIBREGLASS THAT IS USED IN SAUDI TO WRAP OIL LINES IT IS UV ACTIVATED AND IS FIRE PROOF AND THERE ANT NO SCRAP VALUE IN IT YOU CAN NOT BUY THIS FROM ANY OLD DIY STORE OR BUILDERS MERCHANT I HAVE BEEN IN THE BUILDING TRADE ALL MY LIFE NOW TAKEN TO SUPPLY MATERIALS MACHINERY TO THE TRADE AND PUBLIC IT CAN BE SHAPED TO ANY PROFILE AND IT IS STRONG I HAVE SOLD IT FOR BOAT REPAIRS AIRCRAFT RACE CARS FLAT ROOFS SWIMMING POOLS CHEAPER THAN LEAD UP TO TEN METRE ROLLS AND ANY DIY PERSON CAN DO IT IT IS GREY IN COLOUR JUST LIKE LEAD

i have a couple of rooves that need repairing and i wondered if anyone could point me in the direction of some instructional vids on how to do a fibreglass roof, i am reasonably proficient at diy
thanks
Bill

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back