Fibreglass Valleys

Im surprised theres so many for's for grp on this post. We do alot of premier inns and other hotels where grp is specified which is acceptable due to the roof coverings will probably only have the same innings. Leads far superior! And for paddy or mick to see a payday in a valley they must be very desperate!

Sponsored Links
GRP valleys are practically indestructible with the low profile dry valleys being the best thing to ever happen in the roofing industry.

Maybe so noseall but after years they go brittle to the strands almost see through plus alot of the time they need started with lead and saddled with lead.

Maybe so noseall but after years they go brittle to the strands almost see through
I have not seen any physical evidence of this only say-so from lead purists.

plus alot of the time they need started with lead and saddled with lead.
Probably ALL of the time. And the problem with this is......? There will always be situations where only lead will do the job. However, you will not convince me or a lot of designers and architects that the additional cost of lead is worth it over a dry valley.

Dry GRP valleys have taken a huge burden away from roofing in that they save a lot of time and heartache and are aesthetically beneficial.

Sponsored Links
I agree with your comments and im not a lead purist. Grp valleys do save alot of time and labour but I believe lead has a longer lifespan! If you notch the fascia leads not needed to start the valley.

If you notch the fascia leads not needed to start the valley.
More often than not, the gutter needs to be at its highest point at the bottom of the valley.

It is for this reason that we don't cut/notch the fascia rather soaker it with some 18" x 18" lead and keep the valley bottom out of the way.

This is true m8, and im not trying to question your knowledge. With hotels youve usually got a valley returning to a gable end dormer where the highest point is the verge. Then just past the valley theres a downpipe which makes the notching do-able. Would you use grp on a new welsh roof?

We only use the dry valleys on regular plains and interlocking concrete tile roofs here in Staffs.

I don't discourage lead, rather I encourage the use of GRP dry valley units, in particular because of the aesthetic benefits as well as the financial ones.

We recently had a flattie done in code 6 lead complete with lead rolls etc. looks stunning. The effort nearly killed the leadman though!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back