Is it worth using a sealant on a lead-lined roof valley

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, The lead-lined valley on my slate roof has started leaking again.... some 10 years ago it had a leak and was fixed by a roofer who used aluminium&bitumen sheets and a blow-torch. Its been dry until last week.
A local roofer has said the only way to sort this out is to lift the slate tiles either side and replace the lead valley. Another roofer has suggested using a fiber/lead paint such as "Acrypol"

My question is .... how long would the paint method last?. I have the impression that its only a temporary fix. I have been quoted some £1500 to replace a 6m lead valley or much less for the paint job.

Any thoughts?. Is it worth the paint route.

Thanks
Nairb

Sponsored Links
It ia always worth asking the roofer to photograph the valley if he is trying to get you to replace it then you can judge for yourself because if it is just one small section but the rest is fine then it is not worth rippping it all out at a cost of £1500 when a local repair will fix it.
Can you get up safely or perhaps ask the roofer to photograph it so you can decide ?

Acrypol is good but has a life of about 10 years, so is not a permanent repair.

Sponsored Links
Its been my experience that some tradesmen talk a job up to make it worth their while. The local roofers around here all say that they are fully booked for the next 2 months...... getting one round to take photos is going to cost. If I was younger then I would shin up a ladder and have a look... age has caught up. Its frustrating not to be able to have a look. Is 1500 quid expensive to replace a 6m lead valley?. It is the best solution. But if a sealant could give another 6+ years then it might be a better option. Its finding a roofer who can be bothered with such a small job.

Its been my experience that some tradesmen talk a job up to make it worth their while. The local roofers around here all say that they are fully booked for the next 2 months...... getting one round to take photos is going to cost. If I was younger then I would shin up a ladder and have a look... age has caught up. Its frustrating not to be able to have a look. Is 1500 quid expensive to replace a 6m lead valley?. It is the best solution. But if a sealant could give another 6+ years then it might be a better option. Its finding a roofer who can be bothered with such a small job.

You need a drone (y)

sealants are something we use as a band aid to buy time until we can get back and attend properly.. i am surprised nobody else had offered this to you when looking.
Most guys I know that are any good are busy
cost, is it a house or bungalow. if its a house its going to need safe working platform. lead going to cost £160- £180 ish an a few slates costs mount up but without any pictures not much else can be said

sealants are something we use as a band aid to buy time until we can get back and attend properly.. i am surprised nobody else had offered this to you when looking.
This was mentioned but the complete replacement of the lead was the only real option offered. They are local companies and in demand. The lead valley is original and must have been in place for the last 65+ years.
I do wish I had a drone to check..... maybe its a new business opportunity. Oh to be younger again....
Its a house, so will need a platform. There is no rotten wood in the roof. Its all dry except for a small area of the leak. At least if its the full Monty then its cured for a long time....

Long term the only option is replace. Maybe you can stand back with some binoculars ? You might see fractures from side to side of the valley often in more than one place

Shame I am not heading your way as I would do it, I have the drone for surveying too and in my opinion it is a very profitable £1500 job. Maybe my pricing structure needs looking at !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back