NFCR complaint advise needed, please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just wonder if anyone knows what do you expect from a complain to the NFRC (National Federation of Roofing Contractors)
Back in 2009 I had my 3 flat roofs redone by an NFCR, FMB member as I thought that I would avoid cowboys.
After the roofs were redone one kept leaking. They did come back to try and fix it not only once but several times. December 2011 he stopped answering my calls and I checked and as he was still a member of the NFRC, I complained to them. Anyway February 2011 a person from NFRC come with another roofer to inspect my roof, they told me that it was a cowboy work and they NFCR would see it repaired. The roofer took all the measurements and was going to send a quote to NFRC. NFRC took the roofer that did the work for me from their register.
I called NFCR in April and I was told that they would discuss my case during their monthly meeting. I called him again in June and I was told that the meeting was going to be held on the 8th of June.
Yesterday it rained heavily and the leaking in the kitchen has become worse. During the NFRC inspection they ripped/pushed a lot of the roofing to check the work. Not sure if that made things worse or if it was because of the heavy rain.

I have not heard from NFRC yet. I am planning to chase him on Monday. Please can some advise what can I expect from the NFRC outcome? Are they responsible to redo my roof? What should I do if they refuse to take any action?

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I just heard from NFCR and the outcome was that they send a letter to the builder and demanded that they return and carry out considerable remedial works to bring it up to an acceptable standard following which they will re-inspect it and consider their continued membership of the NFCR.
The problem is that the builder has come back to my house to fix the leak over 6 times, so I dont have any faith.

I will be looking for another roofer to redo the flat roof, now my question is: is there any federation/association that can guarantee the work of their members and if something goes badly wrong they would fix it?

You will find that most, if not all these trade bodies merely exist in a self-serving capacity - ie they just use the membership fees to sustain themselves, with a little bit of industry lobbying and advertising thrown in to gain more members.

Bottom line is that their only punishment for wayward members is to expel them.

You are probably better off pursuing a civil claim in the county court (aka small claims court). You can do this yourself without legal costs, and it is straightforward

Basically, you would normally give a roofer the opportunity to correct his bad work, having done this, you can say that you have lost confidence in him. So either the roofer can agree to pay the costs of you engaging another roofer to correct the work, or you can just do it and then claim the costs back (plus any other damages like decorations)via the county court.

The NFRC may not like this and may then cease their internal action, but you can also lodge a formal complaint with them relating to their inaction

If you engage another roofer, then choose one with an "insurance backed warranty" and not just their own company guarantee. That way, you can claim against the insurer if things go wrong and would be more likely to get a positive outcome

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back