confused about tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I moved into my place 8 years ago the bathroom had horrible cream and green tiles halfway up the wall around the bath. I put in a shower so had to tile the rest of the wall and to make them match I painted them all white. (I know some people hate tile paint but I think it looked fine. However, I now want to retile with some large plain white tiles. I've read so many things about retiling I'm not sure what to do for the best.
The tiles are all on securly, I've stripped off some of the paint, some of its come off ok, but most of it is stuck on really firm.
So, should I strip off all the tiles and start again, if so how long a job is it to take off all the tiles, I need to find someone to keep my toddler entertained, would it be a day, or longer? Or should I tile over the tiles, either stripping off the paint first, or going over it?
I want a good job done, but in the cheapest least time consuming way possible.

Sponsored Links
Hi Merv, If you are going to re-tile up to the existing tile height I would scrape off all loose and flaking paint{ if it is} give it a coat of Pva at 5to 1 ratio, let it go off and re-tile over existing.To take off the old tiles, depending on the condition of the plaster or plasterboard underneath them may involve a lot of making good and this is where your time factor will hit. Tiling over tiles is not a problem.Hope this helps.

Thanks, thats what i was hoping to hear. Do I need to use tile on tile adhesive, are they all roughly the same, or can you recomend one?

Hi Merv, sorry for delay. I would go to your local bye and queue [B&Q]
and buy their 10litre blue and white tubs tile adhesive costing about £11.00. I've used them loads and not had any problems with it,good luck :)

Sponsored Links
Or if you want to do a “proper job” take some time to visit the tile forum, read the sticky & read through the archive posts; avoid the DIY shed stuff at all costs!

You really don't want to be using PVA in wet areas, it remains water solvent &, coupled with a cheap adhesive, there is every possibility your tiles will fall off the wall! @ 5:1 mix :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back