Confused - How much insulation do I really need?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m planning to rebuild 3x3m conservatory from scratch, with brick on the outside, 50mm cavity and Thermalite Turbo blocks (100mm) on the inside. Left wall has no openings (fully bricked up), centre wall will have a big window and the right wall will have a big patio door (taking half the width of the wall).

I’ve been reading about different types of insulation for some time now, different cavity fillers, thermal backed plasterboards and so on. As I’m starting this project from scratch I would like to do it proper first time round. My aim is to have a comfortable temperature in the conservatory during the summer and ease of heating it up in the winter.

My questions are:
Do I need to use thermal backed plasterboard if I use some sort of insulation in the cavity? Or should I leave the cavity as is, to prevent condensation problems? Is foil backed plasterboard used only as a quick fix for older buildings with insulation problems? What is the right way to go about this?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If you're building a cavity wall you don't need the plasterboard. This would usually be used on something like a timber framed construction, or added to an uninsulated wall as an afterthought.

Since it's a conservatory, there are no regulations to compel you to have insulation at all. Personally I'd just use cavity wall batts and call it a day.

Thank you for your comments TaxMex.
I have one more question, though. Considering this is a conservatory with polycarbonate roof, and that most heat loss will go through the roof anyway, how much of a difference will a cavity wall make compared to having just a single brick wall. That is, in terms of heating it?

Sponsored Links
Considering this is a conservatory with polycarbonate roof, and that most heat loss will go through the roof anyway, how much of a difference will a cavity wall make compared to having just a single brick wall. That is, in terms of heating it?
Not a great deal, but, if ever you want to knock through, (to convert your conservatory into an extention), your local planning office will be more likely to accept your proposal, if it has cavity wall insulation in place.

You may only want a conservatory now, but for the sake of a a few bob spent on insulation now, you could keep your options open.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back