Confused over cut - outs

• Thread starter tonyelectric
  • Start date
T

tonyelectric

Hi Guys

Just got off the phone with SEC, they insist that registered contractors in grid areas N17 & N20 (that takes in my patch) can pull cutouts themselves, which is at odds with all the stuff we get coming down from our schemes saying that the "blue tag" system has been shut down.

I raised this on another post before I had spoken to SEC, and the concensus was it was prohibited now, but if SEC tell me to get on and do it... er... confused

Sponsored Links
Get a name from someone in SEC and pull away.

Will they issue blue seals though? You still have a duty to seal the head.

I've asked them to confirm by email, yes they say blue seals can be had by presenting a registration card from any scheme.

Just dont pull a fuse whilst having your NICEIC audit :LOL:

I am in WPD next thursday, so will see what they have to say on the matter.

Sponsored Links
I attended an IET lecture where this point was raised. As far as I could tell from the number of points made the DNO should provide an isolator and if they did there would be no problem. And they are not permitted to allow a third party to R&R the main fuse. But until they have provided an isolator they can't really complain about the fuse being pulled as under HSE rules you must isolate elsewhere, so every time you remove the cover from the consumer unit you should isolate elsewhere.

I know two wrongs don't really make a right but as far as I can see they are forced to turn a blind eye until such time as all installations are fitted with isolators.

Cheers for the replies guys, you've confirmed my thoughts that what SEC say is still OK, but as BAS suggests i'll get a letter.

Thanks for the sealing wire link BAS, I fit quite a lot of private sub meters so that will be handy, i could even have my sealing pliers engraved SEC on the dies for er "Sealed Electrical Connection" :D

I guess this will run and run until they fit isolators as standard equipment.

Of course from a purely practical point of view there isn't much that can go adrift pulling the cut out if you know what you are doing. I've seen two howlers though, one poor fella who thought it would be OK to pull it whilst it was being overcooked at 150A and getting hot, the arc was impressive i'm told and the DIY expert two doors down who decided to move his meter into a box he made for it outside, in order to feed the cable through the wall he carefully removed the entire cut out head and proceeded to feed the cable through a hole he had made lower down the wall - all went well but the 40 year old lead/paper sheath cable objected to the tight bend and blacked out the street :eek:

Wouldn't have minded witnessing the second one, sounds interesting from beginning to end to watch! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back