Confused over electrical cable length and size - hijack?

Having now read the thread I can't see why it was locked, it did not seem to be off subject ...
Indeed. I think it was probably just a case of one mod engaging in a 'flurry' of several 'lockings' (something I've never seen happen before in this forum) and got a bit carried away with himself. I have no argument with the other 'lockings' he did but, as I said, this one was a intelligent, well-mannered technical discussion which was very much on-topic.
... locking threads can be dangerous where some one has made an error they can't then correct it, to delete a thread OK as no danger of anyone reading erogenous entries, but locking it is very different, and the modulator locking a thread has to be very certain there is nothing in it which could cause danger.
That's a very good point, admirably exemplified by the thread we're discussing. Had it not been the case that I had myself detected and corrected my error ~5 weeks ago, locking it would have left that incorrect and misleading information viewable for ever, with no way that I could do anything about it. In this case, there was no danger involved but, as you imply, that could sometimes be the case.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
There is another forum were some one called "ban all sheds" had written a report about Part P, since writing the law has changed, and the poster has been banned, so now you have a pinned report which is wrong, and no one can amend or delete the post.
I'm amazed that article is still there, as the reason they banned me was that they were giving out false information about "Part P" (please note the "s), basically spouting the line that DIYers were flat out no longer allowed to do certain electrical work, and did not take kindly to me pointing out that that was untrue.

Indeed. I think it was probably just a case of one mod engaging in a 'flurry' of several 'lockings' (something I've never seen happen before in this forum) and got a bit carried away with himself. I have no argument with the other 'lockings' he did but, as I said, this one was a intelligent, well-mannered technical discussion which was very much on-topic.
That's a very good point, admirably exemplified by the thread we're discussing. Had it not been the case that I had myself detected and corrected my error ~5 weeks ago, locking it would have left that incorrect and misleading information viewable for ever, with no way that I could do anything about it. In this case, there was no danger involved but, as you imply, that could sometimes be the case.

Kind Regards, John
Surely an email to the mods could have arranged an amendment.

Sponsored Links
Surely an email to the mods could have arranged an amendment.
Maybe, but (as in the case we are discussing), it might well be a situation in which anything approaching a 'simple edit' would be enough.

How easy it would be for the mods to arrange this depends on the forum software. I recently had this problem in a forum where I am a 'moderator' (a misnomer, just as with this forum, since the forum in question, like DIYnot forums, was not a 'moderated' one!). A need arose to make some alterations/corrections in a locked thread. However, I discovered that the act of locking a thread disables the ability to edit messages in the thread, not only by the author but even by mods! I therefore had to temporarily unlock the thread in order to make the changes, and that's where the problem arose. There was no obvious way to do it and, since unlocking a locked thread is not something which is hardly ever done, neither I nor any of my colleagues had a clue how to do it! It took a good few phone calls and e-mail exchanges before we eventually discovered how to do it!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back