Conifer Roots

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We live in a first floor flat and there is a conifer tree in the garden of the ground floor flat. The tree is about 7 meters high and about 5 meters from the building.
I hate it as it blocks our view of the road and as many parts of it are brown it looks ugly. Our downstairs neighbours like the tree as it gives them privacy.
Is there any risk of the roots damaging the foundations? I have not idea what sort of root system conifers have.
(Is there any way I can kill the tree next time the neighbours are on holiday?)

Sponsored Links
john4703, good evening.

I take it the tree is within your neighbours Garden? Or is it within a "Shared garden area?"

How close to the Public Footpath is the tree?

Is there any obvious distortion to the ground around the tree, or indeed to any footpaths near the tree?

As or the tree roots in some way affecting the property???

if I come clean here, i work as an Insurance Surveyor, in Scotland, I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of Tree Root Problems I have encounters on one hand in about 17 years [sorry about that] We tend not to have that sort of soil or the tree is less than 2 / 3 m from the Property [or wall??]

As for Poisoning??? I simply cannot comment, indeed it would probably be highly Illegal, but at 0200 AM who is going to know? [ I actually believe it in not legal to undertake what you suggest??]

Ken.

john4703,
if I come clean here, i work as an Insurance Surveyor, in Scotland, I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of Tree Root Problems I have encounters on one hand in about 17 years [sorry about that] We tend not to have that sort of soil or the tree is less than 2 / 3 m from the Property [or wall??]
Ken.
Thanks, That solves the biggest concern, the tree is next to the public pavement and there is no visible damage from the roots so it seems that there is no risk to the foundations. (I was not really serious about poisoning the tree, the only time I'd consider it is when my wife is moaning about her lack of view)
I just hope the neighbours downstairs get fed up with the lack of light

Are you both owners or renting... And is the tree in their private property... If so do they have any responsibilities to maintain it since it affects you (its the kind of thing solicitors would ask when buying)?

Is it feasible the tree could be reduced in height? Maybe you could post a photo from your window?

Sponsored Links
Our neighbours had a horrible brown conifer tree in their front garden. Some kids set it alight and it burnt in minutes. The insides of it must have been very dry.

It's not there anymore. Damn kids.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back