1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Connect 3 x 2 to recessed concrete post

Discussion in 'Building' started by havabru, 7 May 2021.

1. havabru

havabru

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have the slotted 'H' style concrete posts and need to attach a frame for a gate. The posts have pre drilled 15mm holes and I'm using 3 x 2 for the wooden gate post. How can I connect the two please ensuring the other side of the H is faiurly flush as that will have a fence panel inserted?

Attached Files:

2. cdbe

cdbe

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Big wood screws with penny washers or coach bolts.

3. Sponsored Links
  4. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    Incidentally, it will be stronger and more rigid if you run a "lintel" between the tops of the two gateposts to prevent the weight of the gate pulling sideways on the hinged side. Make the posts high enough that you can't bang your head.

5. havabru

havabru

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Id looked at coach bolts but unsure how they would tighten if the head was on the concrete side? Lintel sounds like a plan also..

6. Sponsored Links
  7. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    coach bolts are really hard to remove.

Also, (I have found) over time they rust, even inside a concrete post, and the expansion due to rust jams them irremovably.

In my own fence and other garden work I now use stainless studding, large stainless washers and stainless nuts. Usually M8. You can buy short pieces cut to length on ebay. Studding is much cheaper than long bolts. Grease the thread or it may seize.