Connect 3 x 2 to recessed concrete post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have the slotted 'H' style concrete posts and need to attach a frame for a gate. The posts have pre drilled 15mm holes and I'm using 3 x 2 for the wooden gate post. How can I connect the two please ensuring the other side of the H is faiurly flush as that will have a fence panel inserted?

Attachments

• PXL_20210507_070050858 (002).jpg
    PXL_20210507_070050858 (002).jpg
    414.7 KB · Views: 73
Sponsored Links
Big wood screws with penny washers or coach bolts.

Incidentally, it will be stronger and more rigid if you run a "lintel" between the tops of the two gateposts to prevent the weight of the gate pulling sideways on the hinged side. Make the posts high enough that you can't bang your head.

Id looked at coach bolts but unsure how they would tighten if the head was on the concrete side? Lintel sounds like a plan also..

Sponsored Links
coach bolts are really hard to remove.

Also, (I have found) over time they rust, even inside a concrete post, and the expansion due to rust jams them irremovably.

In my own fence and other garden work I now use stainless studding, large stainless washers and stainless nuts. Usually M8. You can buy short pieces cut to length on ebay. Studding is much cheaper than long bolts. Grease the thread or it may seize.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back