Connecting 8mm pipe to TRV radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

I am having leakage problems with reconnecting a
trv radiator, using 8mm microbore piping. I have renewed part of the piping and get severe leakage out of the bottom of the connection when reconnecting the pipe into the radiator.

Before I connected I put the radiator nut firstly on the pipe, then a brass "reducer"? washer, then an 8mm olive onto the top of the pipe. I pushed all of this into the radiator, firstly using plenty of ptfe tape around the thread. I then screwed it all in.

I then recharged the system. The leak occurs directly out of the bottom of the fitting and is quite severe. Am I missing something? I did use an old olive to begin with, which looked ok but I am not sure if this is the problem (although I suspect it may be). I have bought some new olives and I am just about to embark upon a refitting, but in order to avoid a repeat of the ensuing flood I would be grateful for any advice!

Is the nut, the brass reducer and the olive all I need? I keep thinking I am missing a piece!

Many thanks

Mark Olsen

Sponsored Links
if im reading this correctly then when you say youve put ptfe on the thread. dont put ptfe on the compresion joint thread try putting it on the olive 2-3 turns will do, because all you is doing is stoping the nut from crushing against the olive and water passing over it.

What sort of reducer are you using.

The ones i use don't require an olive.

Sponsored Links
scatmanjohn said:
What sort of reducer are you using.

The ones i use don't require an olive.

Thanks for the reply Scatman. I managed to suss it out. I used two brass reducers, with an 8mm olive in between. Worked a treat!

Cheers

Mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back