Connecting a fence panel to a concrete corner post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My neighbour recently replaced his fence between our properties. The fence has concrete posts with grooves into which the panels have been inserted. Unfortunately his back fence has been erected about 2 feet closer to his house, I now have a two foot gap between the new rear fence and the old rear fence which leads onto the car park for the flats behind our houses. For the moment I have placed an old door against the gap so our dog does not escape.

Now while looking at how to best permanently get around the problem we have noticed that the corner post has a certain amount of give in it. I would have expected these to be securely concreted into the gound so they do not move. Is that a reasonable expectation? The fence was installed back in early March. The company that did it replaced the whole fence (back and side) in about 8 hours and I suspect they have taken some short cuts. On our side of the fence near the corner post there were three old dead trees which we took down last year but left the roots and a short stump in place. I suspect there would have been quite a root system going under the area of the post and am thinking that maybe they did not clear it out enough.

The reason I ask is that our initial thought was to use the corner post as part of the structure for our fence to block the two foot gap. As there is some give in the post though I do not want to do anything that makes it worse.

Thanks
Andy

Sponsored Links
Hi Andy,

No, a fence post shouldn't be loose. As it's concrete, it won't be an issue of rotting. It could be that the hole wasn't wide/deep/square enough. That would mean there isn't enough concrete to secure the post properly.

If you were hit by any storms in the past few months this would certainly have contributed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back