Connecting a New world electric cooker

Hib

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I want to connect the cooker to the mains but the connections are new to me. Unfortunately i can't upload a picture but i thought one of you might know what i'm talking about anyway.

What way are the wires connected. The brass bits look kinda like they would take crimps, but kinda don't at the same time. I doubt that you are supposed to just twist the wires around them.

Help appreciated

Sponsored Links
We need to know the output of the cooker, so then we can weigh up your options.
It may need to be hard wired or could just plug in to a socket circuit.
If it's above 3kw it's a hard wire connection. This means a separate circuit and outlet plate and cable calcs to determined the size breaker/cable needed.
Can you give info of the output?
Also manufactures instruction will dictate what you can do.

• Thanks
Reactions: Hib
Look on the plate behind the cooker should give you an output rating.
Looking at the limited info I have found.
It will need to be hard wired to an outlet plate/isolator switch. so needs it's own separate circuit. So it's not a straight forward plug in one.
Calculation will need to be made to give us the breaker size, this in turn will dictate the cable size. So your appliance can work at it's optimum performance.

Do you have manufacturers instructions, this can also dictate the installation.

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
7 KW, 50hz, 32 amp

It's just replacing an old Creda Hallmark double oven, so the cable (6mm), isolator switch and fuse (30amp) are already there.

This cooker doesn't have the usual (to me) easily recognisable live and neutral terminals to simply fasten the cable to (similar to wiring a light fitting), the cable has to be connected in a way that i'm not familiar with (but i'm sure is common as muck to the average spark).

I should be able to get a digital camera tomorrow or Monday and then i'll upload a pic.

Thanks for ur help :)

does it have any markings on the pvc outer sheath?
Just the manufacturer's name (can't remember what it is)

The cable colours are red, black and earth.

Cheers

red, black, earth on the cooker cable or your installation?
New colour cores are now
Brown=Red (line/live conductor)
Blue=Black (neutral)
Yellow&Green, stays the same (earth/CPC)
What's strange about the terminal ends compared to what you'd expect?
Your current installation of 6mm cable and 30A, Will operate the cooker and carry current okay.

• Thanks
The cable is coming from the terminal outlet box (i believe it's called) which is mounted on the wall directly behind where the cooker sits (the cooker covers it). This is fed from the fused switch just above the worktop.

There is no cable coming from the new cooker.

Sorry the pictures are not at the right angle - pics 1 and 2 should be rotated 90 degrees clockwise to be the right way up. I also apologise for the poor quality of the pictures, but hopefully you can figure it out.

Picture 2 (the cooker terminal) is a close up of the top right of pic 1
Thanks

Fused switch what size fuse in it, as you need 32amps. Should be a cooker control unit rather than Fused Connection unit.

Connections have a link across phases(leave them in) as can also be used as a 3 phase appliance.
4mm cable will carry current, I'd prefer 6mm for potentail upgrade in future (which you have, so thats okay)
So the cable between your CCU(isolator) this should be same size cable as circuit,
connect your live (red/brown) to 1
Neutral (black/blue) to 4
and earth to PE

• Thanks
My mistake PrenticeBoy - it is a CCU rather than an FCU.

Apart from that - u say basically 'just connect the cable - live to live etc'

That's been the problem from the start - How? there is nowhere for the wires to go. There aren't spaces under the screws that u tighten down onto the wires - do u just wrap the wire round the brass bits? with no protective cover?

First post:
What way are the wires connected. The brass bits look kinda like they would take crimps, but kinda don't at the same time. I doubt that you are supposed to just twist the wires around them.

Sounds odd to me

Looks like the cable comes in from the right hand side of your picture,
So your terminal points where the links are will unscrew, this should mean you can then put the end of the cable you have made off, underneath or sometime above a metal flap that will tighten or slacken when you adjust the screw.
Go in at the same point as the Yellow/Orange links. If you twist your conductor ends may help a little to push in.
and yes, live to live terminal, neutral to neutral and earth to earth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back