Connecting cast iron to plastic soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im hoping to be able to connect some new soil pipe into an existing section of lower cast iron pipe. Can anyone have a look at the pic below and confirm if i have the right fitting for this? The one in the pic is what i have been supplied with.

The reason i ask is because, although both pipes fit into the rubber fitting, the cast iron side is just a few mill loose. The fitting has embossed on the side '100mm CI/plastic to 100mm CI/plastic'. So im assuming its the correct one but need a professional opinion. Also the cast iron piece will be on the lower side as shown when fitted. thanks

Sponsored Links
Wrap some denso tape round the cast iron pipe where the fernco fitting covers it.

Hi
i cut my cast flush to the floor and bought a reducer (solid plastic) and fitted it outside on the new plastic soil stack and inside the cast i seem to remember it had rubbery fins on it like a bog pan connector. it has been ok for the last 22 years. it still looks as good as when i fitted it. try a proper plumbers merchant like travis perkins. or do what i do when stuck park outside and ask a plumber as he gets out of his van. hope this helps
Tom

you mean one of these.

96056.jpg

Sponsored Links
tighten the bottom jubilee more untill it is tighter, it will be fine. Faing that use a pan connector as in the pic above

Thanks to everyone for all the help so far.

I have been inspecting the pipe more thoroughly today and discovered there is already a plastic fitting at the base of the stack. The building is from around 1930 and my guess is that this cast iron is the original. So im unsure if they had plastic fittings back then or if this this is an addition done by a previous occupant for some other reason. Printed on the rim of the fitting is 'MARLEY EXTRUSIONS 110MM PVC'. More pics below of the CI and fitting.

My original plan was to cut the CI below the T-branch and build in plastic from there upwards, leaving the lower half of the CI stack as it is. But im wondering if perhaps i could remove the full stack and drop the new pipe straight into this fitting. I have not dug around this fitting yet. What am i likely to find underneath it clay pipe? My biggest concern is that if i remove all the CI pipe and find there is a cracked clay pipe or something else unrepairable/jointable at the bottom. Im also unsure if the brown coupling will stay in situ or become loose once i remove the CI pipe.

Would welcome your opinions on how best to proceed from here. thanks

Remove stack carefully from top down in sections, and replace in plastic all the way from the plastic fitting at ground level.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back