1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Connecting drain pipe to highway drainage?

Discussion in 'Roofing and Guttering' started by 417welly, 29 Apr 2020.

  1. 417welly


    29 Apr 2020
    Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi All

    Ok, current situation is that guttering from my terrace property (and neighbor) currently runs via downpipe to soak away in my front courtyard /garden

    Problem is that front 'garden' is tiny and the soak away does not cope resulting in flooding and damp problems. I’m thinking that the existing set up is never going to work due to size limitations and soak away not being far enough from house + no room to move it.

    I thinking the answer will probably be for water to feed into the road drainage at the front of the house.

    Question is how to go about this? Do I have to request the water authority to do the work or could I simply DIY run a piece of pipe / channel through the foot of my garden wall to end at the pavement so the water runs across the pavement into the road drain?

    (I know the DIY option sounds a bit dodgy! but I did live in a previous property which was a terrace with no forecourt at all and the all properties in the area had downpipes that ran water across the pavement into the road)

    If I were to proceed with a DIY fix I’m guessing I would still need to inform water authority and incur an additional charge for draining water into their system?

    Any advice or alternative suggestion will be much appreciated!

  2. Sponsored Links
  3. Mw Roofline

    Mw Roofline

    30 Oct 2005
    Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have no idea but freezing water on the footpath and Mavis slipping over on it on the way to work on an icy morning is going to be bad for you.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Nige F

    Nige F

    28 Jun 2005
    Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The other house had a precedent - are there any in your road with such a discharge ? As to the council, they may have an approved type of drainage slot - but like most streetworks you have to use approved contractors.
  5. DIYnot Local

    DIYnot Local

    3 Sep 2019
    United Kingdom

    If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

    Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

    Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local


Share This Page