Connecting gutter to a downpipe

M

marsaday

Any idea what i need to connect the new gutter with the old downpipe. i have replaced the rotten gutter today and the connection between the 2 was formed from lead (amazing bit of work as the gutter end part was made to look like the gutter, but all in lead)

View media item 26021

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately it needs a tapering angled pipe - made from a rolled up piece of Lead Sheet- easy for me to say and do , but :cry: I honestly can`t think what else will fit

thats what was in there already. i still have the lead pipe, but how do i get it to fit the outlet. the lead pipe is quite small and so i need some sort of reducer i think.

what you need to do is gently "dress" the lead out to fit the gutter outlet, wouldnt have thought it was too small as the cast outlet is prob the same size as the plastic one, you can get 45 degree bends but its hard to say whether the angle would fit or not

Sponsored Links
One of our guys can plastic weld UPVC, but considering your location!

Why not speak to Marley Plastics they'll fabricate a piece of 68mm UPVC pipe/fitting to any angle.
HTH

i have tried to pull the lead out at the top to fit the gutter, but it is still too small.

what about making a new pipe in lead ? i have the stuff, just not sure how to do it. Is it the same as soldering a copper pipe ? do i heat some solder and join up the rounded lead? if so i can do that no probs.

Good man :!: you`re in with a chance if you can solder ;) . fabricate the shape and make it with about 20-25mm overlap seam - clean the lead with a shavehook (ideally) but get it bright . get the seam as tight as you can ( spread flux) and heat gently moving the flame - run some leaded solder in . Ideally use tallow as a flux, but a non agressive modern one would do ;)

Ah the days of tallow...............long gone now unfortunately,it was also very good for your hands .Still availabel from Toolstation

do i have to use leaded solder ? i only have the non leaded variety

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back