Connecting light radial circuit using circuit to boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I have a house that was rewired about 30 years ago. All the light in the house run from the same ring (except the kitchen). There is a wooden junction box under the upstairs floor boards that all the lights are powered from and this gets quite warm at times.

Recently i had a new kitchen installed and a electrician rewired the kitchen along with a new fuse box. I was surprised when he wired my Combi-Boiler up to its own fuse switch. There is nothing but the boiler connected and i thought this was a bit of an overkill.

As I want to upgrade my upstairs light to mains powered spot lights (about three or four per room, in three bedrooms and landing but i wont be touching the bathroom), can i run my upstairs lights off the boiler circuit and effectively put my lights on a seperate radial circuit?

This would leave me with a seperate upstairs lighting circuit but with a combi boiler also connected. This would reduce the load on the existing lighting circuit and hopefully cool the wooden junction box a bit.

See photo for the existing fuse box, the boiler is connected to the red, non RCD section.

P240208_184001.jpg

Sponsored Links
Not really, if your lighting circuit goes wrong and causes the MCB to trip then you'll lose your heating.
The sound of a single wooden box getting warm makes me think you should be discussing this with an electrician on site, surely your lights are not on a 32A circuit?

what's on the kitchen circuit? its only got a 6A mcb, if it's just the lights then can't you extend that to accomodate the upstairs light,

Thanks,

The kitchen currently has 4 50w downlights 240v.
it also rums 2 x transformers and 4 12w cupboard lights. Is 6A mcb not sufficient for this?

Sponsored Links
yeah they'll only be drawing just over an amp, if you used this circuit you could still afford to have around 5 100w lights upstairs 240 volts x 6 amps = 1440 watts

i thought as it said kitchen it might have been running sockets or something else other than just the lights

I had considered about connecting to the kitchen, but i was just wondering about having a separate circuit. However the comment about loosing the heating if somthing goes wrong did not occure to me.

I think i will wire up the three bedrooms with the kitchen circuit. I have to have a new bathroom installed next year along with new electrics (done by a sparky). Maybe i could then reconnect the whole upstairs on the same circuit as the new bathroom.

I assume this will be OK?

If you want a separate circuit why not put another B6 in the spare non-RCD way in the CU?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back