Connecting radiator valve body to radiator tail, washer required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Fitting a new radiator and valves and wondering if there should be an O ring or washer between the body and the tail?
Valves are marked 'Milano' and didn't come with any o rings or washer, so looks like connection will be metal to metal and wondering if this could produce a watertight seal?
Pictures below
20200419_152817.jpg 20200419_152847.jpg
Thanks

Sponsored Links
No it is a ground in taper fitting, many plumbers put a smear of jointing paste on them but it is not really needed. I do put a smear of Fernox LSX a silicone based sealer which unlike boss white does not go rock solid making it easier for the next bloke to separate the joint, but that's just me, belt and braces, but as I say strictly speaking not needed!(y)

No it is a ground in taper fitting, many plumbers put a smear of jointing paste on them but it is not really needed. I do put a smear of Fernox LSX a silicone based sealer which unlike boss white does not go rock solid making it easier for the next bloke to separate the joint, but that's just me, belt and braces, but as I say strictly speaking not needed!(y)

Thanks for the quick reply.
Think I'll get some Fernox just to be on the safe side!

Yup +1, I know them as tapered unions, both sides are matched when made and when new then they seal quite nicely. I tend to run a bit of 120grit around them quickly just to roughen them up slightly to give them something to bite onto when tightened.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back