Union Type Lockshield Valve - Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace a broken union type radiator lockshield valve. The original valve tail that screws into the rad is stuck solid, and I fear if I use any more force I'll beak something trying to get it out.

Now, the new valve tail that comes with the new Wickes l/shield has a rubber O ring in a groove on it. The original tail that's still in the rad has no groove or O ring. It's smoothe. Can I fit the new valve to the original tail that has no O ring?

Are they compatible? Will it leak, and should I use any sealant?

Sponsored Links
Can I fit the new valve to the original tail that has no O ring?

Probably not, you will have to remove and replace the tail as well, I have never had one break something when trying to remove it.

you have to make sure you are using the right rad spanner to remove the tail, its a bit like a big allen key, some have grooves on the inside, then just give it a bit of elbow grease! the ring on the end of a spanner can give you a bit more leverage if you need it.
And basically if it breaks the rad trying to remove it, then its time for a new rad anyway.

Mike

It won't leak but for peace of mind to get the old tail out without a tail key,
Get the old valve and tighten it on to the tail as much as you can then just turn the 3/4 nut. It will come out no problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back