Connecting RGB to VGA (or RGB SCART to VGA)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to work out the cheapest method of connecting my DLP (Projector) to either my DVD player or SKY Digibox (both can be set to RGB out).

I can get a TV PCI card for around 30 squid, and then tune this into either of the above, but I suspect this may cause picture quality depreciation.

The other option would be to get a cable as mentioned in the title, connect the scart to either DVD or Sky digibox (switch them over to RGB) and then obviously the other end into the VGA on the projector.

The question is, will my second option work? And, is there a cheaper option?

Any advice on the above would be hugely appreciated.

PS. I know this is borderline relevant to the subject, but I'm sure there's some bright spark within the DIYnot community who can help?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Just to clarify, the basic problem is that you only have 'VGA in' on your projector?

I could be wrong here....

But I used to make up allsorts of video leads for Commodore Amiga's and Wicat's and PC's etc.

This was some time ago, but I think that PC's use two sync cables (H & V) and DVD players etc, use only one sync cable?

I don't think that you will be able to drive the projector in this manner.

Why not just play the DVD's from the pooter and display on projector if this is the case?

And tune the PC's tuner into the Sky Box, picture degradation will be minimal. I have my cable and VCR shared through the house and picture quality is fine.

The added advantage for me is that because cable is from a different area, I can recieve channel 5 also without any other gizmos for each telly! :D

RGB Scart does indeed only have one sync signal. You can actually adapt VGA video to run into an RGB scart (but the quality is a bit poo).

Now for some good news: If your DVD player is capable of component video out, you may be able to connect it to your DLP projector. If you look on the back of most plasma screens they are connected up to other high quality components via VGA leads and signals. My DVD player actually sends high-definition component video via the scart connector, but in a non-standard scart mode (so a special lead is required, with scart on one end and a VGA connector on the other). I believe this also works if you have the separate phono connectors for component out, after all some computer monitors connect in the same way.

I doubt you will have any luck with the Sky box. In my experience Sky seem to leave out anything good. You aren't even guaranteed a digital audio out unless you get Sky+.

mildmanneredjanitor said:
And tune the PC's tuner into the Sky Box, picture degradation will be minimal.

My experience of TV cards is otherwise. I have a Hauppauge card, and I would say the picture quality suffers slightly. But enough to be annoying. Computer monitors show up any flaws, so it probably isn't the fault of the TV card.

Just thought of an alternative: you can actually buy a device that allows you to connect VCRs, tuners etc. up to your monitor. These are popular with TFT owners (my bro has one, for instance). The only problem I have with them is, they only cater for composite and S-Video.

Remember that sharp, high quality RGB video on TVs is only really a European thing, and the boxes are made for a worldwide market. The rest of the world has to make do with pooey composite and grainy Pooper-video. So we have to suffer (ever tried to buy a computer graphics card with a decent video out? You can't. S-Video is the standard, nothing better allowed.)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your suggestions and advice. I have decided to purchase on of these. Video Game Jockey If you are at all interested I'll let you know how good it is?

I can then use a digisender for the sky, the DVD can be plugged directly into the VGJ and I can finally turn my Garage into the mini cinema that I've always wanted (oh the wife will be soooo happy!)

Back