Dell 2400 DLP --> TV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have got a Dell 2400 DLP projector and i am struggling to get it connected so i can watch TV on it.

I can connect it to my laptop with a VGA-VGA cable - works fine.

I can connect it to my DVD player with the yellow video cable - works fine.

I cannot connect it to my Samsung TV, after research i find that there might not be the capability to 'output' video from my TV.

I bought a cheap freeview box with a scart to tv socket on the back.

I had a SCART convertor from my Nintendo Wii and plugged my video cable (yellow/red/white) into the convertor into the freeview box and the yellow of the other end into the projector - all i got on the projector screen was 'searching for signal' and it would move on from that! :(

I am doing something wrong?

Sponsored Links
You're correct to assume that the TV can't be used to supply a signal to the projector. I don't know of any modern TVs that have that feature. (NB: Not the same as saying "no TVs have it", just that it's now extremely rare in mainstream TVs).

The problem you're having with the Nintendo Wii SCART adapter is due so the directivity of the signal and the pins that connect in a SCART. The Wii adapter connects Video + Stereo Audio to the TV's input pins on a SCART socket. Therefore the signal flow if from the phonos to the SCART. What you need is an adapter where the signal flow is from the SCART to the phono sockets. It's the opposite direction. The safest solution is a switchable SCART to Phono adapter. With this there's a simple 50:50 chance of the connection being correct. If it is then great. If it's not then flick the switch to the opposite setting and it will be correct... Simples :)

Cool, thanks for the reply - i figured there would be a simple solution! just something that a tech-noob wouldn't know about! i will head to Maplin to look for one :)

i got the scart switchable adapter and it worked fine.

I plugged the yellow video cable into adaptor and into back of projector, i plugged the red and white phone cables into back of my stereo. When i switched the freeview box and projector and stereo on, everything worked - except there was a disparity between audio and visual timing/synching - is there a way to adjust this?

Sponsored Links
Has your TV got a composite video input (that the yellow cable will fit) or even a SCART input? If so, try video and audio into the telly and see if you get the same problem. If you do then I'd point the finger at the Freeview box- take it back to wherever you bought it and spend a couple of quid on a reasonable one.
If you don't (ie TV picture and audio are in sync) then the issue is with your projector. Try connecting audio in to the projector and take outputs to your stereo (looking at the spec. you'll need a couple of Walkman 1/8 jack to Phono leads)- see if the out of sync goes away.
If that doesn't solve it and it is really bothering you then you might want to look at audio delay lines. If you have a home cinema setup you might find some built in....

Sound and vision timing issues are generally caused because the TV takes a much longer time to process the picture than it does the sound. The reason for the delay is to do with the time taken for the de-interlacing and scaling and any additional image processing to smooth-out motion etc. The result is that sound arrives before picture unless the TV has some kind of compensation to re-sync the timing. This kind of time compensation happens automatically where there's a HDMI connection from the source to a TV and that TV has an "auto lip-sync" feature switched on.

By any chance do you have the Freeview box connected to a TV via HDMI whilst also having the SCART connection out to the projector and sound system?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back