Connecting to Black Alkathene Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to put a UV filter into my private water supply. I've now received it and it included all the fittings I require to put it together including filter cartridges etc, upto and including 2 x hepworth pushfit 22mm in & out valves. So far so good - however this has to go outside (no room in the house) and I have a couple of questions if anyone can advise :

1. The main water pipe off the hill is black alkathene, internal diameter 19mm (3/4"), external is about 26mm: I obviously have to connect in the UV filter somewhere on this pipe. However when I was last in my builder's merchant they said the only converters/adapters they had for this was to 32mm MDPE - which would mean buying 32mm MDPE . Has anyone come across an adapter that would allow me to go from the black alkathene to the 22mm pipe directly - or am I going to have to do this in steps e.g. 3/4" to 32mm, then 32mm to 22mm ?

2. As this is all going to be outside, I am going to have to build a water\frost\weatherproof enclosure. This will be about 1.5m long by 1m high (and 0.5m deep) to house the two 20" water filters and the Altima 2 UV. Now I had someone give a quote and they suggested a brick enclosure, however I reckon I could get away with a 2x2 frame with shiplap on the outside and 12mm marine ply on the inside (with insulation & vapour barrier in the gap). I will obvioulsy have to make the roof detachable (And possibly the front) to be able to replace the UV lamp every year so I will obviously have to make a waterproof seal there as there will be electrics in there. Do you reckon I'll get away with this ? Anyone with any better ides (or plans ?)

Ta
Steve

Sponsored Links
I could tell you what to do with the UV filter, but you wouldn't appreciate it :LOL:

philmac and Plason do fittings for 3/4 (25mm) mdpe x copper, go to a proper plumbers or builders merchant BSS for example.

Before you go you need a sample piece of pipe or to expose the writing on the pipe Class C or D will be along the length

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back