Connecting

S

Shutpa

Sometimes when I log on to my computer, it loads up and then a small window appears headed Dial-Up-Connection. I click on connect, the window changes to connected and disappears. I then launch the Internet Explorer.
More often than not however, the small window does not appear and to get connected I've got to go through a series of steps:
1 Click on Start;
2 Click on Connect To;
3 Click on Select a network - (There's only one choice, Zoom modem);
4 Click on Connect;
5 Click on Dial, and, after all that;
6 Launch Int. Exp.

Two questions.
Why does the first (and easiest) method with the small window only appear now and again and is there anything I can do to get my computer to use this method all the time?

Sponsored Links
Possibly a startup application or process intermittently requesting an Internet connection.

With dial-up, you can adjust your Internet Explorer settings to initiate the connection when you open it, rather than connecting at startup.

In IE, select Tools, Internet Options and then Connections. Your dial up connection should be listed, if not click Add and add a new one. Check the radio button next to Always dial my Network connection. If you have more than one connection listed, select the one for your current modem and click the Set Default button.

Sponsored Links
In IE, select Tools, Internet Options and then Connections. Your dial up connection should be listed, if not click Add and add a new one. Check the radio button next to Always dial my Network connection. If you have more than one connection listed, select the one for your current modem and click the Set Default button.

Hi again Igorian. I got as far as connections and in the box near the top, 'Zoom Modem' is shown. Is this my dial-up connection? There is nothing in the circle next to Always dial my network connection but there is a dot in the 'Dial whenever a network connection is not present.

Does this help with my connection problem?

From what you have previously said, the Zoom modem is the one. The radio button is ok as is. When you start IE, you should either get a prompt to dial, or it should automatically do so, depending on your dial up settings. It might take a couple of seconds/minutes for the connection to establish, depending on the connection type. You could always select the "Always dial a connection" option.

Back