conservation area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a conservation area and phoned up the council to see the limits on what I can do.
I would like to change the colour of my front door and paint the windows sage green instead of white and no one at the council could tell me if this is ok. They sent me a thick wedge of information but nothing that was any use or interest
If i just do it as I have been told by people I am sure I will get in trouble. Any ideas ?

Sponsored Links
Painting your front door and windows a different colour ordinarily does not require planning permission in a Conservation Area, as you could carry out the works as Permitted Development. However, some Authorities serve what is known as an Article 4 Direction to rescind various rights to undertake works, and these can sometimes restrict the painting of windows/doors. It would be prudent to enquire of the Council whether they have served an Article 4 Notice, and if not then I would be of the opinion that you dont need to apply for Planning Permission.

Regards

Rob Duncan
Rob Duncan Planning Consultancy

Painting your front door and windows a different colour ordinarily does not require planning permission in a Conservation Area, as you could carry out the works as Permitted Development. However, some Authorities serve what is known as an Article 4 Direction to rescind various rights to undertake works, and these can sometimes restrict the painting of windows/doors. It would be prudent to enquire of the Council whether they have served an Article 4 Notice, and if not then I would be of the opinion that you dont need to apply for Planning Permission.

Regards

Rob Duncan
Rob Duncan Planning Consultancy

I would agree 100%.

If the LA doesn't know (as you've stated in post) then they probably don't employ a conservation officer. They 'should' however have some sort supplementary policy documentation (thick wedge of information???), that would indicate or mention 'Article 4' in relation to conservation area(s). If there is an Article 4 in place? Enjoy your reading ;)

Googling your conservation area should quickly lead to the information you require.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back