Conservatory Base query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife and I are buying a house and it has a conservatory which has been there for about 5-6 years. Inside it appears to be in fine condition with no damp smell, cracks of any kind and appears to be properly joined to the property.

Outside there is block paving and a line of drain grates.
At the base of the conservatory I can see the Damp Course membrane and below this there are 2 courses of bricks.
Under the bottom course though it is void of bricks and instead has pieces of wooden beam running along the outer edges. Also, the perimeter has small decorative concrete slabs which have been filled with decorative stones to cover the gap between the concrete slabs and these wooden beams at the base of the conservatory. There is a small gap between the wooden beams I noticed which allowed me to see the gap between the bottom course of bricks to the actual ground is approx. 4-5cm.

Is this normal? Can it depend on the terrain the conservatory is being built on?
As I say, it appears perfectly fine inside and out all round the edges where it joins to the house.

Thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
Hi, stevemkiv.

What you describe is as has been posted unusual and not to be recommended

Suggest you ask the Solicitor handling the Sale if the Conservatory has planning and more especially building Control approvals in place? have you any Idea what design or who was the builder?

Am I getting this correct? you are saying that the external brick work is supported by a timber beam? then there is a gap to the ground level?

What happens if the timber decays?

Is there any chance of a couple of photos?

Ken

Thanks for the replies.

The conservatory has a lower brick wall so isn't just a sun room extension.
I will see if I can get pictures when we go back for the next view.

To be fair, I pointed out things like the conservatory and soffits and facia boards and knocked the price down in our offer but the vendor refused our offer saying the price reflects the condition fairly.

The conservatory is not resting on the wooden frame as the wood seems like pieces of trim (quite thin) rather than anything to do with a supporting purpose so that wouldn't work anyway. It can't be that bad if it's been up for as long as it has.

Pics will help though so I'll have to get these as soon as I can.

Sponsored Links
Well it turns out that there isn't a brick outer wall but a mock brick cladding material which is hanging down.
I took a picture of the void under the gap today.
Top right of the pick shows the thickness of the cladding material 3/4 of an inch. Didn't have a stick or anything available to see how far back the gap goes plus it was raining so had to get this done quick.

Again it seems fine inside, absolutely no signs of poor workmanship or anything to cause concern.

Took another picture of the side of the conservatory to show how thick the wall is inside/outside. Where the upright brick is located was the spot I took the picture from. I removed the brick and took the pic. Might shed a bit more light on the build style used. The outer border is wooden then the stones then the cladding which has wooden trim directly underneath skirting right the way round the base. I tried moving it all by hand but is rock solid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back