Conservatory base :- top of concrete cracking away

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A couple weeks ago i had the base for my conservatory put down.

Im noticing now when brushing the leaves off it that the top smooth screening is coming away. ie if i hit it quite lightly with the brush end it was chip the concrete away.

I had the builder around and he said once the top is on and its all dried out that he will put a self lever on it to fix it.

Is this right or it just asking for trouble later?

Sponsored Links
If the concrete was over tamped, too much water will have been brought to the top making a weaker finish at the top. This is a common problem with concrete work in this country, whereas in places like the USA concrete finishers are time served tradesmen and the standards of work are generally much higher.

So the way to fix is..... :)

I dont mind him using a self leveler as longs that it will work

yep,sounds like the mix was over wet.i know its not unknown to use the concrete as the finish floor but fairly uncommon.i take its all damp proofed,insulated etc????.if the concrete is the top finish surely the concrete would have been pretty dry before trowelling it up???.

Sponsored Links
yes its got a dpm under it and insulation. It did rain about an hour after it was layed. So still the golden question is a leveling compound a ok solution?

ditto stuart and with it raining within an hour then it would become powdery on drying but he should have covered it up tut tut

make sure you give it a thorough clean and get all the loose dust from the surface or your levelling compound wont adhere to a solid base and in turn , break up

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back