Conservatory condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm new here so forgive me if I duplicate a subject.
Like a lot of people, I want to use my conservatory more in the winter, so have installed radiators, which now keep it very warm. My next plan was to insulate the roof(it has polycarb roof panels) using Kingspan or Celotex and then cover that with Upvc cladding. Having cut the Kingspan to fit between the roof rafters and wedged them in prior to cladding, I have found several areas where condensation has formed on the underside of the polycarb roof sheet and dripped down into the conservatory.
Now I fully understand the nature of condensation and the need for good ventilation, but my question is this, if I use a contact adhesive to fix the kingspan sheet to the polycarb roof sheet, will this prevent warm air contacting with the cold roof sheet and condensing.
I'm still going to install a couple of vents in the dwarf wall to assist with ventilation.
Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Sponsored Links
also, kingspan will have vapour barrier, so if you cover edges with a foil insulation tape that should stop it - but it should be dry first, as once done there is nowhere for the condensed water to go.

Thanks for replies so far, it's reassuring me that I'm thinking in the right direction.

Sponsored Links
My heating engineer made sure that the isolation taps were inside in a warm area, so hopefully avoided the freezing up problem.

Our nieghbour had a company around for a price to extend the heating system and insulate the roof and said the changes would come under building reg as it would no longer be classed as a conservatory

Kingspan or Celotex and then cover that with Upvc cladding.

very flammable materials that also emit toxic gas in a fire.

Since Grenfell, you might like to consider mineral wool insulation and plasterboard. Neither will burn.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back