Conservatory Electrics Connumdrum!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Got a weird problem with the conservatory electrics.

I have a combined Fan/Light from the Conservatory ceiling (linked to a fused spur socket).

Last year the remote control stopped working the lights or fan (battery tested ok and even tried a new battery), could see the remote graphical display was working ie dimmer for lights and fan speed indicators.
In the end we had to use pull switches. Not a big issue but annoying we couldn't dim the lights.

Ok, so the other day went to switch on the lights (via the pull switch) but they didn't come on. Tested all bulbs were ok and tested the fan worked ok.

Baffled as to why the lights suddenly stopped working I took the fuse out of the spur to check it (dunno why as the Fan is on the same spur), fuse looked fine to put it back in and amazingly the lights started working....... BUT..... the fan now doesn't work!!!!

......and even more amazingly the lights will now work off the remote control once again!!!!!

This is really baffling me, any ideas what's going on?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
At a rough guess the micro-processor in the unit has got one or two problems with software crashes. Removing the fuse would have caused a power on reset which would clear some if not all of them.

But the fan not working is a puzzle. Is there a safety code (or child lock)that has to be entered before the fan can be used ?. That would have been reset to safe by the removal of power.

At a rough guess the micro-processor in the unit has got one or two problems with software crashes. Removing the fuse would have caused a power on reset which would clear some if not all of them.

But the fan not working is a puzzle. Is there a safety code (or child lock)that has to be entered before the fan can be used ?. That would have been reset to safe by the removal of power.

Thanks for the quick response.

The fan is a puzzle in that ALL of the electric was switched off at the mains about 3 weeks ago (had some another work done, nothing to do with conservatory) and everything was ok after that (except for the usual remote control issue).

Sponsored Links
Wish I knew who it was as we don't have any instructions for the light/fan unit and I'll be damned if I can see any company logo etc on the unit!!!!

Not a lot of help I know :(

Ok, not sure if this will help BUT........

Noticed when I reset the electrics for the fan/light unit via the fused spur then which ever I use first stops the other from working ie.....

switch on the lights first the fan does work, switch on fan first the lights don't work.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

These units are, generally, controlled via a single controller inside the mounting unit. The main feed goes in and the feeds to the fan and light out, the remote sensor plugs into this same controller with a headphone style plug. Any problems with the control of these is, almost certainly, due to a fault having developed in the controller and, AFAIK, the only solution is to replace the controller.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back