Conservatory - how to temp regulate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

After having used our conservatory for storage only, we would like to convert it to a play room. As per usual, it's either too hot (UV damage is crazy) or too cold. Replacing the roof is outside of our budget this year so we were wondering whether somebody had success with blinds/foils etc? Extra points for pointing me to websites of said blinds/foils.

Thank you very much
1000041071.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
What about converting to a lantern roof, I don't think its that expensive and made to measure blinds wont be cheap.

On the bright side in the autumn or spring on hot days leave the door to the house open and it’ll help heat your house

the trouble you have is the heat from the sun is generated on the first surface it hits so even with blinds the heat has entered and warmed the blind so any heat reduction will be minimum as it will eventually perculate down

On the bright side in the autumn or spring on hot days leave the door to the house open and it’ll help heat your house
Yes I guess we will have to concentrate on Spring and Autumn. Only problem we still have is the UV damage

the trouble you have is the heat from the sun is generated on the first surface it hits so even with blinds the heat has entered and warmed the blind so any heat reduction will be minimum as it will eventually perculate down
Would you not even bother with all these films you can buy? The UV damage of our belongings is also quite considerable.

What about converting to a lantern roof, I don't think its that expensive and made to measure blinds wont be cheap.
Roof lantern? As in convert the roof into a proper roof? Read that a proper roof is around £7k

Would you not even bother with all these films you can buy? The UV damage of our belongings is also quite considerable.
anything on the outside off the glass that catches some off the heat will help
as an aside
my uninsulated lean too out the back has a twin walled polly roof and a biggish window area
outside 6-8% inside 16% a thermometer in direct sunshine on a bit off thin corrugated plastic off the scale as the heat is greater than the 30 degrees now the area getting sun is only about 360mm x360mm but that can heat the 2.4x2x1.6m area [8 cum] uninsulated room about 1 degree an hour in february you can see the need to to keep the heat the other side off the glass

Blinds have negligible affect , we had them windows and roof still reach 40degrees in it.
Gosh, that's crazy. I honestly wonder why anyone would install a conservatory nowadays. Thank you for your reply

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back