Conservatory Idea but need help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I live in an old mid terrace property. My ever growing family means we need more space and I have already managed to make 3 bedrooms from 2. At the back of our house is a courtyard that is just wasted space. My idea is to look at having some sort of conservatory or extension built in this space. I am leaning towards a conservatory as I understand planning is easier for this. I only need something single storey.

To save explain what is where I have tried to draw a bit of a diagram. (Don't laugh, I missed Computer design at school)

Could you guys please cast an eye over the drawing and see if what I am thinking of doing would be possible at all please?

You will see I have drainage and sewer pipes in the courtyard which I hope don't put a big no no on things.

Id really appreciate your opinions. If I need to explain more from the picture please do ask.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Build a proper extension, it makes for a far more useable space.

A conservatory is intended to be a temporary space, not lived in year round. When your bursting at the seams and need more space, you need space that can actually be used properly, which is not a conservatory!

Do you have a location plan showing the overall layout of the house and the courtyard you want to build on?

Planners are a bit funny about building onto the front of houses for instance, and its not clear from your drawing if thats what your doing.

Its the back of the house.

I don't have a location plan to hand but can find one out in my house paperwork.

Our concern about having a proper extension has always been that we may need more permissions etc.

You won't be able to fill the whole yard, if that's what your drawing shows. Size-wise you can only build up to half the area of the yard, and the rules for conservatives are pretty much the same as extensions anyway. And conservatives are boiling in the summer and ice boxes in the winter BTW.

Sponsored Links
Heat losses from conservatories in winter can be horrendous, whereas an extension can be properly insulated.

If you do go for a conservatory, you need a roof with a reflective interior to reflect away heat in summer.

Also I would strongly advise against making a permanent opening between a conservatory and the rest of the house (beacuse of the excessive heat losses of the conservatory)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back