Conservatory in awkward place

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My kitchen is part of an annex which takes up 70% of the width of our property. My neighbours property has a similar layout which means we both have a (approx) 1.8m alley between our kitchens and the relevant neighbour.

I want to build a conservatory-type extension to my kitchen in this area, occupying approx the 1st 3m. This would have 3 existing boundaries, 2 being ours (2 storey) and one being the back of the neighbours kitchen wall (single storey with gutter).

Because the area is so narrow, I don't really want to lose any of the width, so does anyone have any good suggestions? Really I'd like to use the existing neighbours wall and ultimately have it plastered to become an internal wall (after all the rest of the house shares the wall) but I am guessing the conservatory roof will need to be supported off that wall, which I guess was only designed to hold it's existing roof.

Alternatively, I could build a windowless UPVC conservatory wall alongside the existing wall, but would the lack of air circulation between the walls cause a problem? I'd rather avoid this anyway as I'd like to mount kitchen wall cabinets on that wall.

The current details are here http://www.snorkerz.com/images/1.jpg. In this image, the 3m point falls between the window & downpipe on the right hand side.

Any ideas appreciated

Dave

Sponsored Links
If you get permission off the neighbour to use the wall (via the Party Wall etc Act 1996), install a lean-to roof structure and glazing (or tile and velux if that's what you'd prefer), form a valley gutter and lose the guttering that's there. There is unlikely to be a structural problem with the nominal additional load to that wall, unless it's totally cack construction, built on no foundations (looks ok in the photo though).

Looks like the face of the wall is on the boundary too, so you'll end up with more internal width than they've got :LOL: - might have to line it for sound insulation reasons though.

Glazed frame at the garden end, sorted: useable space. Put some opening windows in the end to vent the area and existing rooms opening onto the courtyard area.

I'm not sure it is a party wall because it is entirely on 'their' side of the boundary, with the exception of the foundations, which do extend under our concrete. If anyone can clarify this - I'd be grateful

EDIT: Now discovered that foundations dont count (http://www.conservatories4uk.com/party_walls.asp) so it's not a Party Wall unless the guttering counts or the centimeter or so of render????

2.jpg

if the downpipe is anything to go by, then it looks to me as though the wall, render and gutter are entirely contained upon the n'bours property.

using their wall would be both cheeky and trespass.

on the other hand, building your own wall along side may cause your n'bour problems. :confused:

Sponsored Links
No worries there, downpipe was only installed 5 years ago (by myself) because the main roof guttering was discharging water onto the annexe roof and the annexe guttering couldn't handle it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back