Conservatory roof leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Looking for some advice regarding an internal water leak. I have 2 storey terraced house with a lean to conservatory on the back which is accessed through the lounge by a double French door. For several years, very occasionally I'd have a small water leak in the conservatory which had clearly come through the door frame. This seemed to happen when there'd been heavy rain, but not every time (possibly related to wind direction?).

We've recently noticed that water has at some point tracked down a join in plasterboard a few cm from the door on the lounge wall. If it continues it will get to a light switch. This could have gone unnoticed for some time as it's behind a curtain.

My thinking is that strong wind has been blowing rain water under the lead flashing on the conservatory roof, and that the join between conservatory and house is not sealed properly or has deteriorated, allowing water in.

However, I've had a conservatory repair company to have a look at this and they've said the conservatory is fine and the problem is with the roof of the house. This seems implausible to me - he's saying water is getting in under the eaves then somehow finding its way to the ground floor, without any trace on the first floor??

The room above the door is the bathroom, but I'm happy there is no leak there.

Is it worth me having a look under the lead flashing? Not sure if I have a ladder tall enough, but I could try. Just worried I might damage the flashing - is it ok to lift it without risking it cracking?

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Kevin

Sponsored Links
Lack of Cavity tray.
Check the gutters above the conservatory.

It sounds like a classic case of water inside the cavity, running down until it hits the head of the French door lintel then running out and making the plasterboard damp.

water can get into a cavity either by porous face brickwork, a 1st Floor window, conservatory to house flashing or even house roof.

some pics are needed for more specific advice.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. The house is currently rented out - I've asked the tenant for some photos and will post on here

Finally got some photos
IMG-20221026-WA0001.jpg

There's some vegetation visible in the guttering

IMG-20221026-WA0002.jpg
above the door inside the conservatory

IMG-20221026-WA0003.jpg
above the door inside the lounge

IMG-20221026-WA0004.jpg

As others have said, perhaps start with the window above. Can already see some work in the area judging by the difference in pointing

Window frames are designed to accept water getting into them, and they have drains in either the face or the base to let it out again. Ideally this water would drain onto or into the sill and flow to the edge of the sill furthest from the window before dripping off onto the below (conservatory roof in your case). If the drains are blocked the water would be finding an alternative way out, which could be e.g out of the sides of the sill and into the cavity

The brickwork looks to be common bonded too, not that you'd change it, which provides increased opportunity for water to track from an outer leaf to an inner leaf

Last edited:
If the drains are blocked the water would be finding an alternative way out, which could be e.g out of the sides of the sill and into the cavity

Could this be the case even without cavity walls?

I suppose I should start by getting the gutters cleared out

The aren't going to be single skin, so there will likely be some route down inside the wall for water to track, yes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back