Conservatory roof problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved into a new house and have 2 issues I need to resolve.

The first being that the polycarb sheets are sliding, due to the end caps perishing. The second being that as these are 16mm clear sheets, the room gets like a sauna in summer and is unusable.

To resolved both issues Im looking at upgrading to either 25mm or 35mm heatguard poly sheets. Whilst Ive looked into how these roof are put together, due to the age of it, im wondering if I can simply replace just the roof bars and sheets, or will I have to replace the whole roof...

Looking at the profile of the roof bars, I cant seem to match these up to the new ones available, so then don't know if I can simply swap them out. Glazing bars I have now seen seem to have a completely different profile.

Although I will perhaps end up getting someone in to do this, I would like to have a go myself, but cant really afford to run into any issues that I don't know how to resolve. The system itself seems fairly straightforward, but I don't know how easy it may be to simply install new bars and sheets onto my existing plate.

Would appreciate any advice...

View media item 80954 View media item 80953 View media item 80952

Sponsored Links
View media item 80955
Have I identified thes parts correctly...

YELLOW - Roof bar
GREEN - Top cap
BLUE - Main support bar

It appears that the roof bar slide into a channel on the main support bar, so I don't know if I can simply slide this out and slide in a new roof bar...

I had hoped that the mian support bar would have been a hollow structure, but it looks like it has an open top..

I need to have a closer look at this...

No need to get new bars just buy new sheets, those bars should take a 25mm sheet.

I was thinking that... I think the seals could do with replacing though and am wondering if I could just get new top caps but they do seem to only come with glazing bars.

Sponsored Links
i dont think they would take thicker sheets imo, price a new roof up, lean to roofs are the cheapest style, plus you would get everything new from the top of the frames up. £60 a sq m is a rough price for working to for a white roof with 25mm hguard poly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back