conservatory roof upgrade

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a lean to oak conservatory which sits on cavity dwarf block walls, possibly built in 1999. The walls are on appropriate footings and the oak is all in good condition. However, the roof is triple wall polycarbonate which I want to change to glass. I'm hoping that by doing this, it won't be up in the 50's on a hot day. And as for the noise of heavy rain, bloody hell! I don't want a 'solid' roof as this will be too dark in this instance.
At the moment there are 3 sheets of plastic, 2720 x 910 mm, sitting on 100 x 42 mm rafters. As these rafters don't line up with the vertical frames of the sides, I'm thinking of having 4 glass panels fitted which will reduce the glass panel size to 2720 x 670 mm. This of course will need 1 extra rafter which will then put each rafter directly above the vertical oak uprights.
With 6mm Low e Argon filled glass, I calculated that here the load will be 0.912 KN/m. Can anybody please advise as to what size rafters I might need to support the heavier glass. I'm guessing they would have to be made with seasoned oak. These rafters I think can only be max 120mm high. I'm in somerset, are there any nearby companies who might be able to do this upgrade?
Many thanks, Mike

Sponsored Links
Glass is just as noisy in heavy rain and heats the room just like polycarbonate?

Hi, I have a lean to oak conservatory which sits on cavity dwarf block walls, possibly built in 1999. The walls are on appropriate footings and the oak is all in good condition. However, the roof is triple wall polycarbonate which I want to change to glass. I'm hoping that by doing this, it won't be up in the 50's on a hot day. And as for the noise of heavy rain, bloody hell! I don't want a 'solid' roof as this will be too dark in this instance.
At the moment there are 3 sheets of plastic, 2720 x 910 mm, sitting on 100 x 42 mm rafters. As these rafters don't line up with the vertical frames of the sides, I'm thinking of having 4 glass panels fitted which will reduce the glass panel size to 2720 x 670 mm. This of course will need 1 extra rafter which will then put each rafter directly above the vertical oak uprights.
With 6mm Low e Argon filled glass, I calculated that here the load will be 0.912 KN/m. Can anybody please advise as to what size rafters I might need to support the heavier glass. I'm guessing they would have to be made with seasoned oak. These rafters I think can only be max 120mm high. I'm in somerset, are there any nearby companies who might be able to do this upgrade?
Many thanks, Mike

120 x 44 rafters will be ok.

glass will be quieter than polycarbonate.

double glazed units can be made big enough to fit 2720 x 670
ideally you want them to be 4-16-4 or 4-20-4

glass wont reduce solar gain unless you choose a solar glass -theres more than 1 type
https://www.tuffxglass.co.uk/products/ambi-blue/

the above might be able t give you a local company that will supply and fit

you will need end closure to protect the ends of the glass
and rafter gasket to sit on the rafters
also of course you will need aluminium capping bars

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back