Conservatory window leaking from top seal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. First time here, does anyone familiar with conservatory construction have any clues for me?

I have a slightly manky conservatory I'm bringing back to life. All issues look superficial except I have a leak at one window (non-opening).

When it rains, water runs down the inside of the window (inside the room - not between the panes) from underneath the black seal at the top. It mostly comes out to the right hand side where there's a gap in the corner.

I can't figure out where the water is actually getting in though - there is no water as far as I can see on the inside. I appears as though water is getting in some cavity (I'm imagining) between the top of the window and the ring beam.

I've been up a ladder outside but without taking things apart I can't visualise how it's constructed underneath and where water might be finding its way inside to the top of the window.

Any pointers appreciated.

Thanks,
Aaron.

Sponsored Links
Get up the ladder again with a hose pipe and spray each panel one at a time, whilst having someone inside looking for leaks. Once found, post a picture of the hole/gap.

Andy

Thanks. I'll wait for some clear skies once it's dry, so I can be more certain about which panel caused it - as it currently still leaks for a good while after rain has been and gone.

Sponsored Links
Some tips on leak finding, I spent the last 15years tracing and fixing roof leaks amongst other double glazing things, first thing to remember is water doesn't run up hill, second is don't just soak the whole roof and wait for drips to appear inside, start low and check for leaks then work up a bit and check again, your isolating the area where water is getting in, dont start at the top because it could be getting in at the top but showing up at the bottom(water doesn't run up hill remember), also put a rose on the end of the hose and simulate rain, do not turn it to a jet as you'll force water through the tiniest of gaps that ordinarily wouldn't be a problem, i've been to many where the customer has got the jet wash out and all of a sudden found the roof leaks like sieve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back