Constant water pipe tapping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I heard a rhythmic constant tapping a few days ago and thought it was probably our upstairs neighbour doing a bit of DIY. During the course of the day it continued and struck me that it might not be him.

I started exploring round our flat and found that it was loudest in our hallway cupboard where the meter is and where the supply comes into the flat. It's almost equally as loud on the other side of the wall where our electric shower is situated.

Shutting off the main inlet (before the meter) stopped the tapping, shutting off the supply to the shower (just after the meter on a branch pipe) did not.

Running either of the cold taps in the bathroom (even at a slowish trickle) stops the tapping noise, although I have noticed the water "pulses" as it's coming out of the taps.

The funny thing is, sometimes it doesn't do it. It doesn't seem to be related to any appliances or the toilet. We have a compact push-button flush and the water was calm whilst the tapping noise was present.

Any help greatly appreciated as it's starting to drive me insane! :)

Sponsored Links
try ball valve in toilet if not that turn all water outlets off and if still does noise get water meter checked out

Thanks 5tav. No ball valve in toilet as it's a Fluidmaster valve (I think), in any case, the toilet's not been flushed and the water in the cistern is still, the valve seems shut and is making no noise.

All appliances and taps have been turned off, but the noise persisted.

I spoke to the water company before reading your post (Southern Water) and they said to get a private plumber in as anything that occurs after the stop-cock is our responsibility.

I can see this is going to be one of those back-and-forth type problems. :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back