Constantly singing water pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It may be coincidental but after extremely heavy rain on Monday our pipes started to sing - continually. The only way to stop this is to turn the water off at the main. This stops the noise in the centre of the house i.e. the downstairs shower room, but not at the main lever which keeps giving out a gentle hum/sing even when switched off. Turning all the taps on and off makes no difference to the singing noise in the main pipe. Any advice would be appreciated.

So, to sleep we have to turn the main off. Slightly tolerable during the day. But running washing machine, shower, bath or taps - the noise continues. The singing vnoise could be coming from the outside main perhaps..?

Sponsored Links
If the noise continues after your main stopcock is turned off then you could call the water supply co.

I dont see the connection with heavy rain but there might be a pressure reducing valve somewhere on the supply to your property.

Tony

I'm really sorry but I just have to ask.

What tune are they singing? :LOL:

Thank you for the replies. Welsh Water are coming to check the main where the water comes into the house - so that's a start.

As for what the tune is - I wish I could think of something funny - but it's closer to Vera Lynn than Springsteen.

Sponsored Links
Leave them alone and enter them into next years "Britains Got Talent".

Imagine what you could buy with the million pound prize!

Hi, I know this post was posted over 4 years ago but did you resolve the issue?

I've got the same issue & thought it was the o-rings in the boiler 3-way assembly valve. I changed these and the pipes stopped singing for a month but no its back!

Nah! It's 'Danny Boy' (The pipes, the pipes are calling).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back