Constantly getting an air lock in hot water system.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone offer any clues to solve my problem. A couple of years ago my cold water tank needed replacing and i got a larger tank installed in the attic (the original was in the airing cupboard above the immersion heater), ever since this tank was installed if i run the hot water tap for too long (to run a bath i have to do it in 2 stages) i get an air lock in the hot water system and i can't understand why, the way i see it is nothing has changed except the location of the cold water storage tank.

Sponsored Links
You sure its an air lock? Have you checked that the ball valve in the tank is opening fully to replace the drawn off water?

You sure its an air lock? Have you checked that the ball valve in the tank is opening fully to replace the drawn off water?

Surely the cold water would do the same if that was the issue, it's been awhile since i used my jet wash so i'll see if i can run a bath of cold water and see.

Sponsored Links
Not 100% sure but it doesn't run with much force, not the amount of force i would expect if it was coming straight from the mains, but it's another thing i can check out.

It looks like that is the problem, i ran the hot water tap on the bath and it drained the cold water storage tank, i'll try a new ball valve first and hope that works, thanks for your help.

Well, i've changed the float valve and even drilled out the feed to increase the water flow and it can still empty the cold water storage tank, also increased the amount of water the valve lets in before shutting off.
Any suggestions on how i can increase the flow into the cold water tank.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back